Gassy keg

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ltp

Reaction score
I really can't figure this one out, I figure one of you guys are probably wondering how I can't figure this out.

Kegged a beer, had a taste after two days on the gas at pouring pressure and it was delicious but just a tiny bit flat.

Four days after I could not pour a beer that didn't burp and fart its way out of the font and was nothing but half head. I normally pour jugs, so I was happy to just cut the gas and pour it 15 minutes before I wanted to drink it. I had some inkling that the line had a problem, but I switched it and it made no difference.

Re-used the same keg and I've got exactly the same problem. First taste two days in was good, five days later it's burping it's way out of the line like the keg is almost tapped. I've got another keg that I'm pretty sure I bought in the same batch of three from eBay that had a deep crack in the plastic that causes it to not hold pressure. Could that be the cause? Obviously I should just turf the keg, or even just fill it with water and see if it burps, but it's a two-keg fridge and I'm very lazy. ;)

Last edited:
Any chance you have a hole in the dip tube. Pours well above the hole. When you get down a bit its delivering a mix of beer and CO2.
Was a thread here sometime last year about faulty new kegs having this sort of problem.
Mark

Hi Itp,

Is this a corny keg or a plastic keg?

If a corny keg I agree with MHB.
And as you said yourself, a simple test with water will give the same "burble" if the outlet tube has a leak.

If it is a plastic King Keg type then the float may have turned turtle and outlet isn't submerged in the beer properly. (I've only had this happen once)

Latest posts

Back