Gassing With Soda Stream Machine

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lou

Reaction score
Hi ya all

is ther any reason why you could not gas your beer with an ordinary soda stream machine. I am not suggesting this would be good way to store beer for any length of time but is there any prob with just getting gassing a few litres and drinking that within a day or two

be keen to hear peoples opinions

lou

Lou,
Skip over to the grumpys forum and do a search for 'soda stream'. One of the blokes Ray H, has had a few adventures with one!

The Grmpys thread would make a great movie plot !!!!!

Just need a stunt man willing to do battle with the dreaded Soda Stream...

Lou

Personally I think it is a bad idea. The soda stream machine causes alot of turbulence when it injects gas into the liquid - this is why when you make softdrink you carbonate the water then add the syrup afterwards. If you add the syrup first it froths up everywhere.
The option I would go for would be get some 1.25L coke bottles or the 750ml Coopers PET bottles and put a tyre valve into it, then put a tyre valve fitting onto the soda stream machine. I do it this way with my CO2 bottle for taking beers to HB club meeting or to gas up some beer straight from the fermenter.

Hoops

Hiya hoops

Can you explain a bit better about the fittings and other required to adapt the soda stream machine. What is the fitting which comes from the machine - do you need make it especially or can you put the fitting together from various bits. and what sort of tyre valve - is it a car one i can get from repco or something

lou

ps some picks would be nice

OK hope this helps a bit

Bottle_Top_1.JPG

And the tyre valve fitting with a John Guest fitting

Tyre_Valve_Fitting.JPG

Qld's No1 gadget man & maybe Australias?? :D

Dunno, I think Sosman might take out Australia's gadget man? :lol:

Hey Hoops,

I got myself one of those tyre valve gassing head thingys, but can you tell me where you get those John Guest fittings?

Cheers - Snow

Snow

the fitting is 2 parts:
1. the John guest fitting which is just a push fitting to 1/4" thread
2. the tyre valve fitting (from Bunnings or Repco) which has a 1/4" on it

I get my John Guest fittings from Tony Powell Plubing and Hose Supplies over this side of town.
I can probably pick the bits up if you can't find them?

Hoops

The voice of reason speaks

Dont forget that a sodstream injects CO2 in basically an un regulated form at around 800PSI. Much safer and controllable to use it downstream from a regulator. I use a similar setup to Hoops, I just have an air chuck on a piece of hose that I tee into my co2 line with a john guest tee (which I might say are the best of you like to mix and match your CO2 fittings)

I also use it to drive my poormans CPBF

Cheers Ausdb

Back