Gassing Up 5l Party Kegs

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cam89brewer

Reaction score
I just recently bought 2 party kegs for christmas and was wondering how you would go about gassing them up? I have a filter and was hoping they would be ready in time for sunday..

Dont know if a party keg would handle the high pressure of ross method. I would carbonate in a corny then transfer, bit safer

http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...;showarticle=24
Have a read through this article and then use the "Ross method"
I've been using it for a few years now, good luck!

But how do I connect a gas line?

partykeg.JPG

That's how I do it. I don't think they'll handle force carbing, but if you wanted to try, you should read this thread.. http://forum.northernbrewer.com/viewtopic....f=3&t=61167
I doubt you have enough time to get the parts, modify the keg and get it carbed all before Xmas though.

Oh ok then.. If I was just to prime it with dextrose or something would I have to wait as long as bottles for it to condition or not? how long do you leave yours?

isnt the red thing at the top a CO2 charger or something?

have they been used?

They are new and I am still to receive them, I am just preparing.. they are the ones from craftbrewer

From craftbrewer website:

"These Party kegs come complete with built in gas discharger. Once activated the gas
pressure is constant at approx 70kpa, keeping the beer in perfect condition for months"

Adam.

From craftbrewer website:

"These Party kegs come complete with built in gas discharger. Once activated the gas
pressure is constant at approx 70kpa, keeping the beer in perfect condition for months"

Adam.

It is only to dispense the beer apparently you still need to carbonate it...

It is only to dispense the beer apparently you still need to carbonate it...

Ok, sorry about that.

Adding dextrose is going to be your safest and most feasible option. Given that you don't have them yet it is unlikely that they will be fully carbed by Sunday. I would probably not filter, add dex to carb, leave at room temp, and if you are busting to have them running on Sunday then keep you fingers crossed that between the dex and the CO2 in the keg that you will have adequate carbonation.

Don't know that I have really given you any help at all, but good luck!

Adam.

Oh ok then.. If I was just to prime it with dextrose or something would I have to wait as long as bottles for it to condition or not? how long do you leave yours?
Mine take the same time as bottles. 2 weeks usually for full carbonation.
Don't forget however, you only need 1/2 the amount of dex you would usually use to achieve the desired volume of co2.

Mine take the same time as bottles. 2 weeks usually for full carbonation.
Don't forget however, you only need 1/2 the amount of dex you would usually use to achieve the desired volume of co2.

Thanks guys it was helpful I will probably just prime and be patient and I will just have to drink my German pilsner for christmas not that I am complaining. :icon_cheers:

Pimps, mate could you explain how these things operate for us please? I had a look at CB notes, says they're gassed etc but how do you dispense beer? Is there a tap in bottom grey plastic shown in the pic? Beer gun or bronco? How is product put in? Are they only worth the trouble for one off then disposed of or for easy re-use. If its not a whole lot simpler than using a cornie I cant see the piont. Why not take 19lt somewhere instead of 5ltrs?
Im sure Im not the only one who would like to know. Thanks
Daz

Daz, the grey thing at the bottom is the tap, similar to a Bitburger keg. There is a gas cartridge built in, you have to activate it by turning the red lever on the top. There is also a little plastic cap on the top, take out, fill with carbed beer from keg (hose to the bottom), and replace plastic cap with sturdy bung or whatever you wanna call it that comes with it. Once gas is activated and beer empty, the gas is obviously gone, so not perfect for re-use.
Advantage is that you don't have to take your gas setup to a party, but it's a bit of an expensive exercise if you want to drink a bit.

I use them for presents, (christmas, birthdays, client gifts etc.), always a hit if the beer you put in lives up to it.

The Warsteiner, Grolsh and 1911 Root Beer 5L party kegs have a simple gravity feed without that pressure cap. They make replaceable bungs for those. I agree with others when they say force carb in your corney then pour into the 5L. Don't worry about headspace. Just use it as a big growler. 2L soda bottles work nice too.

If you absolutely need to use CO2 look at this setup
http://www.wecomatic.com/xt/product_info.p...16---8217-.html

Daz, the grey thing at the bottom is the tap, similar to a Bitburger keg. There is a gas cartridge built in, you have to activate it by turning the red lever on the top. There is also a little plastic cap on the top, take out, fill with carbed beer from keg (hose to the bottom), and replace plastic cap with sturdy bung or whatever you wanna call it that comes with it. Once gas is activated and beer empty, the gas is obviously gone, so not perfect for re-use.
Advantage is that you don't have to take your gas setup to a party, but it's a bit of an expensive exercise if you want to drink a bit.

I use them for presents, (christmas, birthdays, client gifts etc.), always a hit if the beer you put in lives up to it.
Thanks Florian, seems a good idea for those who dont have keg and gas set up, like the ones you can buy at bottleshops,Carlsberge etc. Nice idea as a gift for non
homebrewers. May be handy one day but for now keg and CPBF into PET's for small amounts will do. Cheers.
Daz

Is it possible to force carb a standard keg and then transfer into the party keg?

Latest posts

Back