Gas V Electric Costs

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Diggles

Reaction score
Hi,
Does anyone know which is the cheapest to run a system on gas or electric? assuming all variables are constant.

Diggles

The common sentiment on this site appears to be electric. Carbon tax will keep putting electricity and gas up. Renewable target will only keep putting electricity up..............all the same I'm a gas man but think electricity would be cheaper both short and long term.

LPG always seem to be good if you are impatient... Which I am and saves time waiting for the boil.

Electricity will be cheaper, and if you have decent sized elements (I run 2 x 2200W in my kettle) your heating will be on par with, if not better than Gas.

Cheers

want more grunt, root a pig :lol:

elec can be as powerful as LPG if you have the power available to run multiple elements. I'm running 6kw into my kettle, but I'm thinking another 1kw would not go astray.

The common sentiment on this site appears to be electric. Carbon tax will keep putting electricity and gas up. Renewable target will only keep putting electricity up..............all the same I'm a gas man but think electricity would be cheaper both short and long term.

don't forget the power companies are re-doing the poles and wires which is 80% of the future cost increases.

Gas and electricity will just keep going up, but with electricity costing what it is I am in favour of it. Also its quiet, no fumes, the cost gets buried in household consumption, great stuff!

don't forget the power companies are re-doing the poles and wires which is 80% of the future cost increases.

Gas and electricity will just keep going up, but with electricity costing what it is I am in favour of it. Also its quiet, no fumes, the cost gets buried in household consumption, great stuff!

Your 80% figure varies greatly from state to state. So lets do what 68% of Australians want (Galaxy or Essential Poll) and **** off the Carbon tax and the renewable target and we will be 20% better off!

Elec or LPG for 1 batch is cheaper than going down the corner pub and buying 1 schooner.

I'm planning on splitting the difference with the 3V Herms I'm builinding at the moment, electric HLT and HE with a gas boiler. Going with gas for the boiler because I hate waiting for my 40L crown urn to get up to the boil after the biab mash.

There is a full breakdown of costs on an existing thread. Suggest u look through that. Should answer ur questions

Or you just might like fire for some weird reason which may be an indicator for Antisocial personality disorder.....???? :lol:

So lets do what 68% of Australians want
Who actually wants to live in the country that would exist if this advice were followed? :unsure:

For the OP, gas costs more but is a little more flexible, IMO. If cost is the only consideration then electric would be the way to go.

Who actually wants to live in the country that would exist if this advice were followed? :unsure:

For the OP, gas costs more but is a little more flexible, IMO. If cost is the only consideration then electric would be the way to go.

Me and 68% of Australians. You'll get to experience it soon enough. Don't like it then **** off. :)

If you do the maths even if you run a 2400 watt element for five hours that = 12 kilowatt hours, so that = 12 x 22c = $2.64 per brew. Now if you are like me and have to pay $37 for a 9kg bottle then electricity is way cheaper. However I like gas, I have brewed with electricity and also toyed with the idea of BIAB electricity, but just ike the idea of the wide spread heat of gas.

Myybe I am just have an antisocial disorder... now just to figure that out - 2 x braziers, 1 slow combustion heater, 2 x Texan offset smokers, 1 weber compact kettle. Yep must be antisocial disorder and proud of it. B)

Cheers
Gavo.

Not sure if this is relevant, but this is 80L boiling in my 95L pot with the 2 x 2200W Keg King elements. Certainly gets a good rolling boil going....

Boil.jpg

Cheers

If you do the maths even if you run a 2400 watt element for five hours that = 12 kilowatt hours, so that = 12 x 22c = $2.64 per brew. Now if you are like me and have to pay $37 for a 9kg bottle then electricity is way cheaper. However I like gas, I have brewed with electricity and also toyed with the idea of BIAB electricity, but just ike the idea of the wide spread heat of gas.

Myybe I am just have an antisocial disorder... now just to figure that out - 2 x braziers, 1 slow combustion heater, 2 x Texan offset smokers, 1 weber compact kettle. Yep must be antisocial disorder and proud of it. B)

Cheers
Gavo.

I was thinking of a dual system, gas to get the HLT, and mash pot to temp, then electric to control the mash cycle. The only thing is your comment in regards to the heat distribution of gas. Is this really an issue? What effects do you notice? A moveable burner would be good??

Diggles

Me and 68% of Australians. You'll get to experience it soon enough. Don't like it then **** off. :)
Therein lies the bittersweet nature of living in a democracy.

You are well within your rights to ask somebody to "**** off", but nobody is under any obligation to take you up on your generous offer.

I think it is all going a little of topic here...

It is simple to me:

Gas is for homs, Electric is for the coolest of rad people.

If you need to much more, I will be in your town soon, check the website for tour dates!

:p

I was thinking of a dual system, gas to get the HLT, and mash pot to temp, then electric to control the mash cycle. The only thing is your comment in regards to the heat distribution of gas. Is this really an issue? What effects do you notice? A moveable burner would be good??

Diggles

And what pray tell would you fire the kettle with? not misplaced commas I hope.

Back