Gas Rip Off

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

normell

Winter's Flat's #1 Brewer, now that XXXX have move
Reaction score
OK Guy's here's the story so far, since Nov 2001, I've been paying BOC over $100 per year for cylinder rental.
After hearing about guys getting cheaper rentals, :angry: I made a phone call to Air Liquide (1800-338-118) and found out that they have 2 types of CO2 bottles, an Alum.$114/year & steel $16/year. :D
So it's well worth while doing some homework before getting ripped of for your keg gas. :eek:
Check in your state first. ;)

GRR blah geh f(*@(*!!Q!

Now i understand how some people get rental so cheap. Thanks for the post, next fill i'm going to ask about changing bottles.

John

Told you Norm ;). Glad you found the Grumpy's posts helpful and that it's helped your situation.

For $16 p/y I would have rented too. But in Tas we have no such luck. Glad to hear that you've got the better of them now ;)

Cheers, Justin

went to a certain hbs in cairns last week on holidays and checked out the air up cylinder.
holds 2.3kg of gas and is brand new and costs $295.
refills at $20 a hit.
how does this compare for same down south?

cheers
big d

wh is sick and tired of paying too much for rental and refills each year :angry:

forgot to mention for $295 you own the bottle.not sure on its allowable usage time though.

cheers
big d

i pay $60 for a refill. i own the bottle.

Well over here in the west I pay $106/yr for a steel cylinder from BOC ... pretty sure Air Liquide will screw you for the same cash as well.

Lack of competition.

Have spoken to the fire dept on site (yes we have a firestation on site) and hopefully I can score a 6kg cylinder off them for free :p well thats my plan in the next few months.

BigD, I don't think I could stomach the $300 for such a small cylinder with limited refil stations (here in the west anyway). Fire extinguisher will be the go.

I went to the local rubbish tip and bought a Co2 tank for $2 out of their recycle bin :D :p

Local Airliqide guy in canberra, $50 deposit, $50 per fill-even delivered to work for me!

I'm outa Melb. by 120K's, but local AL agent said that when I move over to them, he will give me first year rental free

The easy way around this is for somebody in every state to ring Air Liquide, and BOC and compare the prices.
Then post results here so we all know.
For Victorians, I'd say talk to local AL rep, if I can get the Melb. deal here, maybe you can too.

Big d, you can get the same 2.3kg bottles here for $270 and $20 for a refill at the local HBS.

You can also get 1.5kg bottles for about $120 i believe on the net.

Latest posts

Back