Gas/regulators And Fittings

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lachabaloo

Reaction score
Hi all, new to the forum, and kegging. I'm just trying to get the gas set, and just investing what kind of regulator/gas source to get. I don't brew too much, just like kegging for convenience, and not on a huge budget being a student. Just looking for some idea's about generally setting up. Thanks,

Lach

You've got a couple or three options:

1. Full gas bottle with regulator, looking around the $150 mark for the reg and around $250for a bottle outright. If you rent a bottle from BOC it's around $14 a month
2. Sodastream bottle with adaptor and a regulator, probably around the $220 mark all up
3. CO2 Keg Charger + Disconnect, around $50 for the gear and then about $20 for 5 refills - a little more hit and miss compared to a setup with a regulator.
4. Along the lines of the sodastream bottle but using a CO2 fire extinguisher instead, requires some modifications to the extinguisher.

Visit the sponsors at the top of the page for an idea of what is available and the costs.

Hi all, new to the forum, and kegging. I'm just trying to get the gas set, and just investing what kind of regulator/gas source to get. I don't brew too much, just like kegging for convenience, and not on a huge budget being a student. Just looking for some idea's about generally setting up. Thanks,

Lach

Hello Lach and welcome to the Forum..

Mate, regulators come in around the $100-$120 mark and the Harris and Micromatic ones seem to be the go, ive got a Dual Gauge Micromatic which has a pressure release valve and a child safety adjusting screw(just in case), as far as gas, unless you want to pay about $280 straight up for a gas bottle(which is cheaper), you can higher 1 from BOC, it costs about $47 for a full 6.3kg Cylinder and about $12 a month rental..

If I were you, I would just buy one, if you fall into financial hardship and need to sell it, you will re-coupe a majority of the money you paid for it..

Cheers

Mate,

If renting, do not go to BOC. They are the most expensive around. I pay $53 for 10 kilos of gas. Rental is 12 bucks a month, seems to be the same.
Look for a local industrial supply place in your area, they will be cheaper. Our gas comes from Air Liquide, same stuff, much cheaper.
This is the only good advice my local brew shop gave me when I started kegging, and that is only because they weren't filling gas bottles themselves at the time.
BTW, I buy Harris regulators for $75. One has to shop hard and negotiate.

Cheers,
Bud

Thanks guys,

I guess I've sort of narrowed it down to either getting a soda stream bottle, or getting a 6/10 kilo bottle. someone has said they might be able to get a supagas bottle for me, so just wondering if this is a good system with regards to expense and ease to fill up.

I guess i'll hunt around for a Harris/Micro Matic regulator. Does it matter much about which one i get?

And one last thing, does anyone know how the soda stream adapters work, i'm a little skeptical because it seems as though some pin has to be pushed in on the bottle to allow gas flow, does the adapter take care of this? Thanks again

Lach

Bit off the topic....but does anyone have a good method of removing the beer line from the disconnects and reg. Or is it easier to just cut it off.

Reason is I am moving house and have to dissassemble my setup for the relocation. ;(

Hello Lach and welcome to the Forum..

Mate, regulators come in around the $100-$120 mark and the Harris and Micromatic ones seem to be the go, ive got a Dual Gauge Micromatic which has a pressure release valve and a child safety adjusting screw(just in case), as far as gas, unless you want to pay about $280 straight up for a gas bottle(which is cheaper), you can higher 1 from BOC, it costs about $47 for a full 6.3kg Cylinder and about $12 a month rental..

If I were you, I would just buy one, if you fall into financial hardship and need to sell it, you will re-coupe a majority of the money you paid for it..

Cheers

What about the Tesuco brand regulators. Are these of similar quality?

Bit off the topic....but does anyone have a good method of removing the beer line from the disconnects and reg. Or is it easier to just cut it off.

Reason is I am moving house and have to dissassemble my setup for the relocation. ;(

you can now get QD's with threads on them so all you do is simply unscrew it and it pops off - so much easier than soaking it in hot water and squeezing it on and off all the time - you still have to squeeze it in once but after that thats it.

And for your reg just hook up a john guest line connector near your reg, that way if you want to take your reg off just pop the JG connector off and unscrew the reg.

hope that makes sense.

Hi, I use a converted CO2 fire extinguisher. It has to be taken apart and the pickup tube removed. You can usually pick them up cheap from secondhand industrial equipment places, and a fire extinguisher place can test it and fill it for much less than Air liquide of BOC. Advantage is that you own it so you're not paying the rent. The CO2 is the same.

Peter

Ordered and paid for my micromatic premium twin gauge regulator on Wednesday, and received it this morning. Great service from kegsonline, and for $103.95 delivered.

Cheers :)

Back