Gas Pressure Question

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerdrinkingbob

milk is for babies......
Reaction score
Hi guys I've had my kegging gear for a while but just seting.up the fridge now.

I was hoping a smarter man might be able to tell me the following....how much would my gas pressure on the bottle drop when storing it in the fridge at 6 degrees, I'm a tad paranoid about a gas leak...and do you use more gas storing the bottle in fridge due to the gas being more compressed, I assume no but thought I'd ask.

Cheers Bob

Can't really answer about pressure drop but to find leaks I got a squirty bottle of soapy water and sprayed all parts where it could leak and found bubbles coming from the gas connect. Easy to see

Don't think you use more gas. I remember reading it somewhere pretty sure

I was hoping a smarter man might be able to tell me the following....how much would my gas pressure on the bottle drop when storing it in the fridge at 6 degrees, I'm a tad paranoid about a gas leak...and do you use more gas storing the bottle in fridge due to the gas being more compressed, I assume no but thought I'd ask.

Cheers Bob

Hi Bob,

It does not matter how much the pressure in the cylinder drops while stored in the fridge. The liquid contents in the cylinder will still be above the pressure required by you. I personally store my cylinder in the fridge all the time. You will not use more or less gas because the cylinder is stored in the fridge.

Gas Leaks: Get some dishwashing detergent in a spray bottle and squirt all gas side fittings / posts / lid oring. You should be fine.

Adrian

The volume of one tonne of CO2 at atmospheric pressure is 556.2m.

A 2kg bottle leaking instantly will fill about the bottom 1cm of your garage - if it's perfectly sealed.

Gas leaks are a financial issue, not a safety issue.

Legal Disclaimer: if your kegerator is in a small, airtight cupboard in which your entire family sleeps, then check for leaks like their life depends on it.

The volume of one tonne of CO2 at atmospheric pressure is 556.2m.

A 2kg bottle leaking instantly will fill about the bottom 1cm of your garage - if it's perfectly sealed.

Well that answered his question, cheers nick :beerbang:

Batz

I'm a tad paranoid about a gas leak...

He need not be paranoid. I was also paranoid when I asked the extinguisher ex-firey guy because I have 2 Galahs 10 feet from the gas bottle.

We can all relax with physics.

Just be aware when you store your gas bottle in the fridge that the contents guage won't work effectively at lower temps, so don't freak out when your gauge shows empty as I did.

Cheers Bob

the high side of my reg shows about half the pressure when in the fridge than outside it, dont know if thats scaled or anything but the needle points about halfway back

the lowside shows the correct pressure after settling, or at least i assume it to be the correct pressure as the theory works out with the practicle

Cheers.fellas, it was the high side gauge that freaked me out the most, had already checked for leaks but the ever dropping gauge had me second guessing myself.

Back