Gas or electric

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am after your thoughts wether it it is better to use gas or electric elements for BIAB? I am using a 50L keg.

Opening a bit of a can of worms there buddy....

Its one of those questions that doesn't have a definitive answer as ultimately the answer depends on your personal opinion on the various pros and cons of each.

My opinion is as follows:

Electric.

Electric can be automated for maintaining mash temps if you are re-circulating, can be used safely indoors, doesn't require re-filling gas bottles and is cheaper to run.

However using a standard 10amp housing power circuit you can only pull out 2400W which is fine for standard single batches, although it takes a little while to reach boil. And there is more dicking around installing a heater in your pot and wiring it all up.

I'm sure others will offer their opinions too... if you search this topic, I'm sure you will find that it has been discussed fairly well.

Gas, definitely gas - I have always had gas :ph34r:

Yeah I prefer gas, can't automate it without a bit of effort, but bringing up to mash temp and boil is a lot quicker.

Why not both?

I've got an electric HLT and RIMS and a gas burner for my kettle.

JD

He's talking about BIAB.

Electric for single batch brews, although for bigger batches you can run two 2.4 kw elements by running an extension lead from the other part of the house to power one of them.

However in the case of the OP, for a 50L keg you are in single batch territory and I'd suggest electric. I calculated once that if I had gone gas early on in my 7 year career, the extra cost would by now have bought me 3 more urns.

Not against gas as such, I personally own four 9L bottles to run my Supaheat room heater over the winter, but we are talking about heating different stuff here. Horses for courses..

Find some brewers in your area and ask a few with different systems if you can sit in on their next brew day. Actually seeing the whole brewing environment being used and what's involved might help you decide the method that suits your own home brew space the best.

Do you have an outdoor or very well ventilated area to brew in?

Is your mate/brother /wife/cousins dog a sparky?

Do you own the place you live in or are happy to get power circuits run on landlords property?

How long do you think it will be until you upgrade? (and dont lie and tell me you wont :p)

Electric. I have a townhouse with no special outputs, and can squeeze 2900W out of it over two burners.

And I never run out of gas mid-brew, one of those gripes some members have posted lots about :p

My gas remains under the covers in my bed, ready to attack the wife when she lifts the doona.

Lord Raja Goomba I said:
Electric. I have a townhouse with no special outputs, and can squeeze 2900W out of it over two burners.

And I never run out of gas mid-brew, one of those gripes some members have posted lots about :p

My gas remains under the covers in my bed, ready to attack the wife when she lifts the doona.
Normal power point should work if using insulation .

Electric for sure. I used to be a gas man, then went to gas + electric (OTS element), now all electric.

Easy to automate. Can leave it without fear of fires. More efficient (direct heating of wort rather than heating kettle). Can't run out of electricity half way through a brew as opposed to a bottle of gas.

Downside is obviously being limited to suitable circuits but if you can get the required power for the batch size, electric all the way.

Its one of those things. Horses for courses. I went gas as it was the only way i could go double batch as i rent which basically means no dedicated circuits will be going in. If i was to start out again id find it very hard to go past a concealed element urn, bag and temp controller for some step mashing

The reason I would go electric if planning an upgrade, change or starting out is I have small kids running around the area I brew in. Just feel it is a little but safer without the flames they can stick the meathead nose into. Not sure if you need to worry about that from your original post.

Winter is coming,go electric and brew indoors in comfort "

Peter80 said:
I have small kids running around the area I brew in.
Sound like you've got yourself an infestation there, mate. Common problem in brew sheds. They'll be after the spilled grain.

Heat Beads; half a bag for a single batch, full bag for a double.

Latest posts

Back