Gas manifold problem

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

captaincleanoff

Kings Cross Brewery
Reaction score
So i just got a 3 way gas manifold from eBay. Direct from regulator to input on gas manifold, the gas outputs only work VERY slowly. They seem to achieve correct pressure in the keg, but only after an hour or two of being connected

Only when I pump it up to 250KPA will it fill the keg instantly.

I think this must be a problem with a 'catch valve' in the reg, which prevents it from opening unless a certain pressure is achieved.

Is this a completely defective item? Or a gas manifold that is just not meant for home brew/kegging

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/291818357153

This is what I replaced it with;

wp_ss_20160930_0002.png

I just bought the 4 way manifold from cheeky peak.... It hasn't arrived yet - help me understand the problem?

Air won't go through it with the tap open. Or at least at the 10-12 psi I was applying to carbonate.

I can't blow air through by mouth through any of the taps (blowing from the inlet side), it appears blocked.

Sounds like a fault but admittedly I've only had experience with my own manifold. I've got a 4 way manifold that works perfectly well at any pressure. Don't ask me to find where I bought it from now though... no idea, was on eBay somewhere. Looks like the one in the Cheeky Peak link though, just with four outlets instead of two.

I have my regulator set to 15 PSI, which gives the same carbonation level through the manifold that I used to get from about 11PSI using T-piece splitters on the gas lines. The check valves in the manifold have something to do with this apparently. Shouldn't completely cut off the flow though? :unsure:

Yeah beyond my knowledge. The bolts are lock tighted on or something so I can't budge it.

A pretty cheap item probably has variable quality control. Hardly worth the postage money to send it back unfortunately....

I (think) I'm experiencing something similar with a 2 way manifold from KegKing (probably more about the check valves, rather than the manifold though).

I'm having to up the PSI on my reg way over what is expected according to the carbonation chart, I reckon I'm dropping about 5 PSI, but no leaks to speak of. Haven't quite wrapped my head around how that can happen...

Yep it's weird. Going back to a simple T piece and an inline tap is working better for me.

Check valves require a certain pressure to open in the right direction.
Most are around the 20 psi mark that I have found.
Ideally, we would need check valves that require <2 PSI, however, getting one with a metal thread has been impossible in my searches.

From my research, a duck bill valve is best in our application as it requires bugger all forward pressure to open, but as just mentioned, getting one that's not just a plastic pos, is not easy.

I would expect that you have purchased a unit that the check valve forward pressure is too much for your system, if it was sold as a kegging manifold, I would be looking at returning it as not fit for purpose.

I have the 4 way Keg King manifold with check valves and they open well below 20psi. I don't know how low exactly, but I do recall having the regulator set to just under 10psi and there was definitely CO2 flow.

Becomes an expensive exercise if along with the splitter we have to purchase pressure gauges for all lines downstream of the manifold.... to heck with that.

peteru said:
I have the 4 way Keg King manifold with check valves and they open well below 20psi. I don't know how low exactly, but I do recall having the regulator set to just under 10psi and there was definitely CO2 flow.
Correct, 20 PSI forward pressure would be unusable in our application.
I was meaning in general, most check valves are designed around high pressure pneumatic systems, and as such, 20 PSI is nothing.

My manifold as with others have check valves that worked well however when I replaced the regulator with one that also has a check valve the dispensing pressure I had of 10psi wouldn't open both sets of valves. As other have stated I increased the pressure (to 14psi) and all is now fine without affecting the carbonation/pouring of the beer.
Cheers

Latest posts

Back