Gas Line Into Fridge Advise

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redbeard

Sth Seas Pirate Brewery
Reaction score
Currently my gas bottle sits next to the fridge & the gas line goes in thru the door (as the fridge sits mostly in a builtin cupboard type space). Inside the gas line splits via a t piece & then to two kegs. When opening the door, the gas line moves around and changing kegs means trying to avoid entanglement. Im think it would be a lot better if i had 2 90' (metal) elbows that connect thru the door to form a U. Thus both gas lines would connect in a vertical rather than horizontal direction.

I could use some snaplocks but havent seen any used type elbow plumbing.
Anybody had any success with compressed air type attachments / disconnects?

Can't comment on air connections but one thing I will say is make sure the gas line is not tight so that it is pushing or pulling on the gas connects (causing them to be a bit wonky).

I let my gas line get a bit messy and managed to empty a bottle of CO2. I am pretty sure it is because the gas connects were getting pulled by the line which broke the seal :(

Do you have to have the gas connected to the keg all the time?.
I'm in the process of working out what gas set up I will use for my first keg set up and dropped into my LHBS yesterday for some advice. His method was to carbonate the keg, then disconnect from the gas and have it sitting in the fridge, therefore no need for gas bottles in the fridge or gas lines going into the fridge.
When he needs more gas for dispensing he justs hooks up the co2 and gives the keg a few seconds blast.
Seems like a nice simple way to do it, without drilling unnecessary holes in your fridge.
Any opinions on this method?.

Cheers, Nick

Stickler said:
Do you have to have the gas connected to the keg all the time?.
[post="66777"][/post]​
i find it easier to leave the gas connected all the time, have the pressure set on the reg & just turn the gas bottle on/off when it starts pouring slow. i also carbonate the keg at close to pouring pressure. takes longer but is easy.

Stickler said:
His method was to carbonate the keg, then disconnect from the gas and have it sitting in the fridge, therefore no need for gas bottles in the fridge or gas lines going into the fridge.
When he needs more gas for dispensing he justs hooks up the co2 and gives the keg a few seconds blast.
[post="66777"][/post]​
does he have a tap or a beer gun. putting the gas disconnect on & off all the time will shorten its lifetime & also is a pain compared to turning the gas on/off. the keg will also carbonate quicker if its cold ie in the fridge.

redbeard said:
I could use some snaplocks but havent seen any used type elbow plumbing.
Anybody had any success with compressed air type attachments / disconnects?
[post="65600"][/post]​
I've used compressed air fitting for my gas lines, with no problems so far.

Back