Gas leak in A coupler?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Klosey

Reaction score
My brews continue to get better and better with the addition of hops and grains to my extract kits. Seem to be having problems with CO2 leaks and I believe coming from my A Coupler attached to my 50 litre commercial kegs. I have done all the soapy water spray tests to no avail. Should there be some type of washer between the coupler and the keg?

This is the Micromatic A Coupler, there are three seals, 2 Identical O-Rings (1) that go into the body (4) and the Keg Seal (8), these three come in the service kit (9).
Wont help you much if you have a different model, but these are the most common. Most of the others are a knockoff of these and work in a similar way.
If any of the seals/O-rings are damaged yes you can get a gas leak. When you pull the coupler apart clean it well and re-lube before assembly.
The Keg Seal is doing what you want from a washer, when the Probe (7) is pushed down it presses the keg seal against the flat face of the keg and against the body of the coupler. Make sure all surfaces are clean, lubricated and undamaged.
Mark

Mostly its a good idea to throw out parts 5 & 6
1612231987483.png

Thanks Mark,

I will check it out tomorrow but I can’t remember no 8 being between the coupler and keg?

It is part of the coupler, it has a V shaped groove around the outside that engages the coupler, the probe comes down through it until the perforated plate runs into it and forces it down against the face of the keg. If that's missing it will leak heaps of gas when its actioned.
One side of the keg seal will be textured, that side should face the keg.
Mark
Pick is from the KegLand site
1612235246668.png

It is part of the coupler, it has a V shaped groove around the outside that engages the coupler, the probe comes down through it until the perforated plate runs into it and forces it down against the face of the keg. If that's missing it will leak heaps of gas when its actioned.
Mark
View attachment 119921
Might have found the problem? It could be a faulty Prssure Relief Valve. It seems to be very touchy and when I increased the PSI to 20 I detected I could here the gas being expelled. Even when I just touch the valve and not pulling on the ring small amount of gas is expelled. Tied to look up from keg land to buy it as a spare part but no luck. I am that frustrated I have decided to but a new A coupler as well as the Mark 4 dual gas regulator when it come into stock around the 8th February . Still would like to fix this one as I usually have two 50 lire kegs on the go at once

Mark
View attachment 119921
Hey Mark,
Just put the coupler in a vice to remove the prv. Expected it would be quite firm and low and behold it was that loose I could remove it with my fingers. Have tightened it with a spanner and replaced the coupler on the keg and don’t seem to have the same problem I noticed before. Just need to get my gas bottle filled to really try it out.

Cheers Klosey

Take the PRV out and clean and lube it, often helps.
Have seen some that have a small O-ring that is replaceable, at least one hat was the same as a Corny PRV.
If you cant find any parts take a picture and post it, might be able to help.
Mark

Crossover posts, do lube it, hopefully you have it fixed.
M

Take the PRV out and clean and lube it, often helps.
Have seen some that have a small O-ring that is replaceable, at least one hat was the same as a Corny PRV.
If you cant find any parts take a picture and post it, might be able to help.
Mark

Crossover posts, do lube it, hopefully you have it fixed.
M
Filled up with Co2 again and after tightening up the PRV and using the soapy water trick. I reckon I might have it fixed. In the meantime I have ordered another Type A coupler and I am waiting for a Mk4 Dual Co2 regulator to come into stock and will replace my old one. I reckon it’s 10 years old.

Back