Gas For Firing Boiler

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dazzling

Reaction score
G'day all, only a few more items before i'm brewing.......if only I wasn't wasting all my time in this office every day....

To the point tho, I need a gas supply to fire my boiler. What is the cheaper option, to buy my own bottle and have it refilled, or get one of those swap and go's from the servo? :blink:

I would do the research myself, but when some one else has probably already done it, why bother :D

Cheers

Dazzling

In my experience, owning your own bottle and getting it refilled is definitely cheaper, but... the swap 'n go type systems are great for when you unexpectedly run out of gas mid bbq/boil and need a refill NOW. You pay for the convenience I guess...

Shawn.

Dazzling,
Buy two bottles. That way you will never run out

I use swap and go. Its about the same cost to swap it as it is to get it refilled at the local hardwarw shop around where I live. Depends how much your local charges for refills I suppose.

cheers
johnno

Being of scottish heritage every penny is precious :lol:
In my area it is about $4.00 more with the swap and go

Costs me $18.50 to get mine filled at the local camping shop and $25 to swap it at the local servo. I've given in to laziness the last few times and just walked around the corner to the servo and swapped it. I almost shed a tear when I gave up my own bottle the first time though...

Shawn.

The guy at the servo told me you could take a bottle that has nearly expired and replace it for a new one.
I have 1 year left on my old bottle. Maybe next time I will get a new bottle for $4

Darren said:
The guy at the servo told me you could take a bottle that has nearly expired and replace it for a new one.
I have 1 year left on my old bottle. Maybe next time I will get a new bottle for $4
[post="47730"][/post]​

Darren,
Thats the whole purpose of this scheme. To get rid of old untested bottles. But yes that is exactly what you can do. From memory my local hardware charges $23 to fill. Swap and go is $25.50. Plus they take ages at the local hardware till the find someone and so on and so forth. 1 Minute after pulling in to the servo I have a full bottle with the swap and go system.

cheers
johnno

my local servo charges the same for a refill as a swap - irrespective of how much gas is in your existing bottle. :angry:

I know this, cos I once made the mistake of topping up a half full bottle there - the full on price came as a bit of a shock.

Normally get refills at a local camping store, it is cheaper and with a part fill, you only pay for the top up gas.

stop it your killing me with your prices.up this neck of the woods the average refill price is a cheap $33. :( :eek:

cheers
big d

Well i'm having trouble finding the time to get my first brew off the ground, so I think the only option is to do it proper aussie way call a sicky some time next week. In other developements further to my first posting this topic, and despite the helpful hints from those who replied, I found my local swap'n'go servo was going to charge me $75 for a full 9kg bottle and then $25 each swap :angry: , but being a tightass i sniffed out a better deal. the new huge camping/outdoors store, anaconda, in Melbournes eastern suburb of bayswater only charges $25-$32 for an empty 9kg gas bottle and $18 to fill it up......GOLD :beer:

Dazzling .....out

If you have the space and can deal with them, the 45kg cylinders are cheaper.

Through the local Elgas agent, there is no hire fee or initial start up cost, just $75 per cylinder. Elgas owns the cylinders, you borrow them full of gas.

The cylinders are heavy and to carry them, you need a ute, and somewhere to unload them. The cylinders probably weigh around 60 kg full.

Dazzling said:
Well i'm having trouble finding the time to get my first brew off the ground, so I think the only option is to do it proper aussie way call a sicky some time next week. In other developements further to my first posting this topic, and despite the helpful hints from those who replied, I found my local swap'n'go servo was going to charge me $75 for a full 9kg bottle and then $25 each swap :angry: , but being a tightass i sniffed out a better deal. the new huge camping/outdoors store, anaconda, in Melbournes eastern suburb of bayswater only charges $25-$32 for an empty 9kg gas bottle and $18 to fill it up.
[post="49999"][/post]​
Dazzling, next time, drive a few more kilometres to Supagas. They swapped my out of date bottle with a filled one for $25. They are about on par with Anaconda for refills too.

cheers

Just upgraded my empty, small sized, out-of-date bottle at the swap & go to a 9kg one for $49 - then literally, got back in car to go & get my BOC gas bottle refilled. There they had the 9 kg bottles on special - full for just $35 - BUGGER!!!!

Refilled my 9kg bottle at Bunnings last week for $6 cheaper than the local servo, and I was going to the hardware shop for other bits anyway.

Beers,
Doc

Back