Gas Bottle Weights

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The PRV's on your kegs can be sensitive little pricks, did you check them?

i checked all of the above with the pressure set at 200kpa

i am thinking that maybe the leak was between bottle ang reg, which stopped leaking as the bottle pressure dropped

or i have noticed that the micromatic regulator has an outlet that releases pressure when you wind down the pressure, perhaps the gas kept flowing through this valve after i wound down the pressure a few weeks ago ??????????

Put your entire keg system in your bath and fill it with water.

Hmm leaks can be tricky to find. The only real way is to pull apart, isolate and rebuild :( For all my barbs i use a size too small line, and soak it in boiling water to fit over the join, then use clamps on top. I doubt they could ever leak, though need to be cut off when a full line clean / change happens.

If the kegs are holding pressure for a prolonged period of time with no additional gas entering them, then it's not the kegs. Do you use thread tape at all on your setup?

Hmm leaks can be tricky to find. The only real way is to pull apart, isolate and rebuild :( For all my barbs i use a size too small line, and soak it in boiling water to fit over the join, then use clamps on top. I doubt they could ever leak, though need to be cut off when a full line clean / change happens.

If the kegs are holding pressure for a prolonged period of time with no additional gas entering them, then it's not the kegs. Do you use thread tape at all on your setup?

i dont use any thread tape, shoudl i be using it for joining the regulator to the bottle ?

i'll swap the bottle over today and try again with the soapy water around the regulator parts

Never use thread tape on a reg!
They are a face seal and rely on the pressure on the washer between the reg and the bottle to get a seal. Even if you put thread tape on the bottle there is nothing to stop the CO2 leaking out of the back of the nut around the sprue on the regulator.
All thread tape will do is accelerate the stretching of the nut on the reg shortening its life. I wont even fill bottles that come in with thread tape on them, you would get handed a little wire brush and told to get busy, because when people undo the nut they get bits of PTFE everywhere and some of it will wind up in the regulator or when filling - in the bottle (I have had to disassemble a tap to dig out all the bits of Teflon, as well as clean out a couple of regs)
There is no benefit and a couple of good reasons not to, so dont use thread tape OK
Mark

Never use thread tape on a reg!
They are a face seal and rely on the pressure on the washer between the reg and the bottle to get a seal. Even if you put thread tape on the bottle there is nothing to stop the CO2 leaking out of the back of the nut around the sprue on the regulator.
All thread tape will do is accelerate the stretching of the nut on the reg shortening its life. I won't even fill bottles that come in with thread tape on them, you would get handed a little wire brush and told to get busy, because when people undo the nut they get bits of PTFE everywhere and some of it will wind up in the regulator or when filling - in the bottle (I have had to disassemble a tap to dig out all the bits of Teflon, as well as clean out a couple of regs)
There is no benefit and a couple of good reasons not to, so don't use thread tape OK
Mark

OK, message loud and clear :)

so last night, i turned all the ball valves on my manifold off and disconnected the regulator from the bottle so i can get it swapped over

each keg has its own gas ball valve, so tonight before i reconnect the gas, i should try pour a beer from each tap, if the problem lies downside of the manifold, then i presume the specific keg wont pour as it would have lost its pressure, is that right ?

OK, message loud and clear :)

so last night, i turned all the ball valves on my manifold off and disconnected the regulator from the bottle so i can get it swapped over

each keg has its own gas ball valve, so tonight before i reconnect the gas, i should try pour a beer from each tap, if the problem lies downside of the manifold, then i presume the specific keg wont pour as it would have lost its pressure, is that right ?

If you are patient, (and depending on your reg, works with mine, a tesuco)

Turn off all outlets on your manifold, turn off your gas bottle, then dial your reg back to zero, on my reg that will NOT release the pressure.

So if I have a leak between manifold and reg the pressure in the line (2nd gauge) will drop over a period (could be days)

If not then you can turn everything on, and half yOur manifold outlets and repeat test.

Then you can work out which group of outlets has a prOblem.

Problem for me was a small leak pre manifold

If you are patient, (and depending on your reg, works with mine, a tesuco)

Turn off all outlets on your manifold, turn off your gas bottle, then dial your reg back to zero, on my reg that will NOT release the pressure.

So if I have a leak between manifold and reg the pressure in the line (2nd gauge) will drop over a period (could be days)

If not then you can turn everything on, and half yOur manifold outlets and repeat test.

Then you can work out which group of outlets has a prOblem.

Problem for me was a small leak pre manifold

i'll try that if all my kegs are still pouring fine tonight, and if they are, i presume that the problem will lie upwards of the manifold

eureka (greek for 'to vrika' ... "i found it")

nothing like a full bottle to flush out the leaks

OK, so all my kegs were pouring fine, except for one, which wasnt fully carbed, this was pouring slower as the beer would have absorbed the pressure in the headspace

so i connected my new bottle up, leaving the manifolds shut, and turned the bottle on, set to a pressure of 150 kpa and then turned the bottle off

after 15 minutes the high pressure dial started to drop, whilst the low pressure guage stayed constant

i though the problem was where the reg joins the bottle, so i got my soapy water out and tested that join ... only to find nothing

i started to move down the chain ... and then ... bubble bubble bubble

the regulator has a little hole here ...

IMG_4049.JPG

this an exit point for gas to be released when you reduce the pressure in the regulator, it lets the excess pressure from the keg headspace vent back up the line and through this hole

well, you would expect the gas to stop flowing when the pressure equalises, but it just keeps flowing, obviously a faulty regulator

looks like i didnt pick it up with my soapy water first time round as the bottle pressure from the near empty bottle wasnt enough to force the leak

bottle now turned off until i replace the regulator

Rather than start a new topic on a oft posted query that has not had a definitive response that I can find...

Does anybody know the approximate weight of a Keg King 6.0 Kg Co2 cylinder, either empty or full? After recently swapping a 2.6 Kg bottle for the 6 Kg, I neglected to weigh the bloody thing.

One post states that KK claims (over the phone) they are approx 20.3 Kg full, however, my cylinder currently weighs in at 20 Kg after 2 months and at least 6 kegs carbed and dispensed which would have used more than 300 grams of Co2...

Can't answer your question but what was the weight of your 2.6 empty and full?

Cheers. I weighed mine when empty (pretty much the same as yours) but forgot to weigh it after my first refill.

Ive got a 6kg supgas customer owned bottle.

When i got it filled last time the guy weighed it and wrote the weight in marker pen on it for me.

The full wieght is 28.7kg

Manticle,
LOL. Damn!
Glad to help, but was wondering how you were going to use those specs to magically get the answer I seek. Duh!

Back