Gas Bottle Weights

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sama

Reaction score
Hi yall
I have a Keg King 6kg/9.1 litre co2 gas bottle.Does anyone know of this bottles empty weight and full weight? Cant find such a post or info anywhere.

Should have the tare weight stamped on the bottle, it's rough, but good enough for a rough measure of how full it is.

Hi yall
I have a Keg King 6kg/9.1 litre co2 gas bottle.Does anyone know of this bottles empty weight and full weight? Cant find such a post or info anywhere.

bump

does anyone have the tare/gross weights of the keg king 6kg steel bottle ?

i looked and cant find it on the bottle

bump

does anyone have the tare/gross weights of the keg king 6kg steel bottle ?

i looked and cant find it on the bottle

I think it holds 6kg of gas

EDIT: just read your question again, not sure of the bottle mass

I think it holds 6kg of gas

EDIT: just read your question again, not sure of the bottle mass

found a website listing the shipping weight as 23kg

my bottle just weighed in at 15kg

that means i'm negative 2kg

somethings not right

the high side of my regulator has started dropping into the 'order gas' section as of a week ago, and is continuing to drop

out of a 6kg i would definitely have expected more than 4 or 5 kegs that i've carbed and dispensed

which led me to believe i must have a leak

last night i checked every single connection point, regulator, bottle, keg and manifold with soapy water and found nothing

this leads me to believe either

1) i had a leak previously that is no longer leaking

2) the high side of my regulator has a faulty reading

3) the bottle was not full at the time of purchase

if someone knows the weight of one of these bottles either empty or full then that could at least answer the question about the faulty regulator

any help is appreciated

the high side of my regulator has started dropping into the 'order gas' section as of a week ago, and is continuing to drop

out of a 6kg i would definitely have expected more than 4 or 5 kegs that i've carbed and dispensed

which led me to believe i must have a leak

last night i checked every single connection point, regulator, bottle, keg and manifold with soapy water and found nothing

this leads me to believe either

1) i had a leak previously that is no longer leaking

2) the high side of my regulator has a faulty reading

3) the bottle was not full at the time of purchase

if someone knows the weight of one of these bottles either empty or full then that could at least answer the question about the faulty regulator

any help is appreciated
hi, i would say that there is a leak in the system. i have a one kilo bottle and easily carb and dispense 5 kegs. i find with my reg that once it hits the order gas area that i maybe dispense 1 keg. hope you sort it. did it feel about 20kg when you got it?

hi, i would say that there is a leak in the system. i have a one kilo bottle and easily carb and dispense 5 kegs. i find with my reg that once it hits the order gas area that i maybe dispense 1 keg. hope you sort it. did it feel about 20kg when you got it?

i just called keg king, they weighed a full bottle and it came in at 20.3 kg or something close to that

yes, i have a leak, but fucked if i know where it is, the soapy water didnt show anything up

i just called keg king, they weighed a full bottle and it came in at 20.3 kg or something close to that

yes, i have a leak, but fucked if i know where it is, the soapy water didnt show anything up

When you shut the fridge door, does it cause the beer lines to push against the disconnects? Hence it only leaks when the door is closed.

Yep, sucks. I find the soapy solution sometimes blocks the very fine leaks.

Use your ear/hand to feel for leaks.

I had one on my regulator barb. Took me days to work back from the fridge to find it!

When you shut the fridge door, does it cause the beer lines to push against the disconnects? Hence it only leaks when the door is closed.

its a chest freezer, and i'm sure nothing touches the lines when the lid is closed, but they do bump around a bit when i change kegs, so perhaps it fixed itself ?

Yep, sucks. I find the soapy solution sometimes blocks the very fine leaks.

Use your ear/hand to feel for leaks.

I had one on my regulator barb. Took me days to work back from the fridge to find it!

i have been to too many live concerts to trust my ears to find something that small,
the bottle has taken approx a month or two to empty, so the leak is quite small, which makes my job even harder

The most common place to find a leak is the O-Ring on the gas post, the keg can test OK so can the disconnect but when you put the two together it leaks. Mostly caused by pushing the disconnect down, can create little tears or scratches in the surface of the O-Ring.
Put a touch of lube on the post whenever you use it and run your fingers around the O-Ring you can often feel a bit of roughness.
Can be frustrating trying to find leaks I find a lather of some dishwashing liquid and hot water works best, start at the bottle and work your way along every fitting and join from there on down.
Mark

i have been to too many live concerts to trust my ears to find something that small,
the bottle has taken approx a month or two to empty, so the leak is quite small, which makes my job even harder

I would say that's quite a large leak. Do you have clamps on all the barbed connections? I found that I get leaks when the line has a bend at the barb, a tight bend will cause the line to deform on the barb and open slightly for a leak. My leak came from the barb on the non return valve as the line bent up to go through the collar - I moved the bottle so that there wasn't such a tight bend and fixed it. My 5kg bottle is just about empty after nearly 2 years.

The most common place to find a leak is the O-Ring on the gas post, the keg can test OK so can the disconnect but when you put the two together it leaks. Mostly caused by pushing the disconnect down, can create little tears or scratches in the surface of the O-Ring.
Put a touch of lube on the post whenever you use it and run your fingers around the O-Ring you can often feel a bit of roughness.
Can be frustrating trying to find leaks I find a lather of some dishwashing liquid and hot water works best, start at the bottle and work your way along every fitting and join from there on down.
Mark

i always lube my posts :D

i always find it hard to remove the disconnect after the keg has been in the fridge for a month, and to remove it i often have to twist, perhaps this has damaged the o-ring

looks like i've missed the bubbles, so will have to go through the whole process again

I would say that's quite a large leak. Do you have clamps on all the barbed connections? I found that I get leaks when the line has a bend at the barb, a tight bend will cause the line to deform on the barb and open slightly for a leak. My leak came from the barb on the non return valve as the line bent up to go through the collar - I moved the bottle so that there wasn't such a tight bend and fixed it. My 5kg bottle is just about empty after nearly 2 years.

all my barbs have clamps on them, and i dont have any tight bends
i worked out i'm losing about 40cc of gas per minute, so that should show up with the soapy bubbles

i am at my wits end

i soaped every single point, connection, barb, seal .... my freezer looked like a bubble bath ... but i found no leak

please help

i am at my wits end

i soaped every single point, connection, barb, seal .... my freezer looked like a bubble bath ... but i found no leak

please help

Try what the IT guys do, shut it all down, pull it apart and put it back together

Take the disconnect off first and turn the gas up big to max. Then use soapy water on the disconnect/reg joins and see if there is a gas side leak. Higher pressure might just make you see it. Could also give a false reading where there wasn't a leak before but check the whole thing and you're bound to find them all.

Also, sure the prv isn't buggered?
And the beer side too, it might be slowly leaking gas on the beer side somehow and the bottle just keeps compensating.

I got 4 kegs, carb and dispense out of a half kilo. Some high carb beers there.

The PRV's on your kegs can be sensitive little pricks, did you check them?

Back