Gas bottle, rent vs buy

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hoploader

Reaction score
So in the market for a bottle. Was going to do the obvious and buy a bottle, find fill place etc. Seems most places are swap and go which I've never been a big fan of. If I pay $300 or so for a shiny new bottle I'd want to get it back rather than someone's battered old one. Now this won't solve me not having a shiny one but I rang a gas rental mob and was told both 6 and 10kg bottle is $7.54/month ($90p/a roughly) and $32.50 for a fill, home delivered. Both same price if I'm not being sold a dummy. If I could manage to fit a 10kg this seems pretty reasonable. No initial outlay for bottle or delivery, cheap fills, low frequency fills, but cost of rent will always be there.
Not sure how prompt a bottle is delivered once ordered or anything else.
Anyone tried renting? Experiences?
Cheers

i bought a mykegonlegs bottle ages ago. never had a dodgy bottle when swapping and everyone seems to look exactly the same condition.

just do what I did and by a shit banged up one in the first place. :D :D :D :D

Ever heard of anyone paying rent on 10kg LPG labels? ;)
Once you keg you'll be hooked. You'd be mad not to buy in my opinion. And if you give it up you'll get good coin for it when you sell it, so it's much better value. As per barls the bottles I've traded in have always been in excellent condition.

Are we talking cellar mix or trade co2? Suppose it probably doesn't matter, that's a decent rental price and a cheap refill.

I've got a Kegking bottle and live not too far from them so they would normally refill while I wait although for my first refill their transfer pump wasn't working so they just gave me a new bottle. However, I don't mind exchanging as that way the bottle stays in test date.

Guess it depends on how much use you'll get from it. I recently bought a 'pony' size bottle of Argon for my TIG as I couldn't warrant $15 p/month rental when I wasn't getting the use out of it. But co2...

buy one for sure. And if you can get one of those kegs on legs ones. I wish i'd done that

i was actually so impressed i have two.

What's the difference between the mykegonlegs $349, 6.8kg and the 6.8kg from cheekypeak which is under $220? Will a swap and go take either?

TheWiggman said:
Ever heard of anyone paying rent on 10kg LPG labels? ;)
Nope, but I also haven't heard of swap and go for CO2 either. LPG is swap and go territory, that is why I was a bit confused.

Really? Look into it, far more economical than hiring a bottle. Unless you bottle of course, in which case carry on.

Hoploader said:
What's the difference between the mykegonlegs $349, 6.8kg and the 6.8kg from cheekypeak which is under $220? Will a swap and go take either?
MKOL's is an aluminium bottle. I imagine the cheekypeak is a KK type and of steel. I don't care about the weight as it doesn't get moved. Not too worried about rust inside a vessel full of co2 either. I dare say the MKOL type is of a higher quality though.

Swap will only take mkol or keg king.

If you hire dont use BOC. Carnts.

I've been getting a 10kg bottle filled for 2 years and now can't get it filled anywhere. Will go the kegsonlegs for convenience!

where in sydney are you as that may influence your decision

Topher said:
Swap will only take mkol or keg king.

If you hire dont use BOC. Carnts.
Why is that? Just wondering because I do mine through BOC. A 23.5kg bottle.
$56 changeover. I think the rent is ~ $150.00 per year.

Correct: Rent is $176.00 per year. $14.74 a month. 23.5kg CO2 goes a long way.
(as long as you get no leaks of course)

barls said:
where in sydney are you as that may influence your decision
North west Sydney, hills area. Country Brewer at Prospect is probably the place I'd be looking at as 15 minutes away. They sell mkol and possibly kk. Have sent them an email re what it needs to be. Easiest would probably be buy one there but will see what they reply.

$7.54 per per month rental is cheap. I thought it was $150+ per year.

Latest posts

Back