Gas Bottle Fell Over

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Diesel80

Reaction score
Hi all,

was kegging a beer today and the damn Gas Cylinder toppled over.

I have a Tesuco dual regulator with the HP guage sticking right out on the end.
This HP guage is cactus.
Is my reg / gas bottle safe to use? - I have a second gas bottle (full) which i will soon be swapping to so i don't need to read the Bottle level dial.

My first concern is whether it is safe or not to use.

I take it I can source replacement guages and will look into this, but damn its saturday and i hope i can use my kegerator tonight!

Cheers,

D80

Same thing happened to me, just replaced the gauge and the reg is fine. using a Micromatic here.

I reckon if it wasnt safe to use it would be leaking by now. They're pretty tough.

So when you say leaking, it would be hissing when i turned on the tap to open the bottle?
Because all i hear is silence as when it was not cactus.

The other two gauges appear unharmed.

Cheers,
D80

The same thing happened to me with my Tesuco Reg.

The guage face bent and the needle doesn't give an accurate reading now. When no pressure it sits at 100kpa but when gas is on the needle can't go past 300kpa as the face is bent.

The rest of the reg is fine. Anyone know where to get a replacement guage? I'm too poor at the moment to invest in a new reg.

The gauge consists of a curved tube called a bourdon tube with an arm on the end which operates the needle. If the face of the gauge comes off easily, you can the check the state of the bourdon tube. There is a fair chance it's OK and it's only the gauge surround that is damaged.
Or if you are still worried, you can remove the offending gauge and fit a 1/8 bsp plug in the hole (my gauge was 1/8).

I had a similar thing happen and now restrain my gas bottle to avoid it happening again.

Cheers

The gauge consists of a curved tube called a bourdon tube with an arm on the end which operates the needle. If the face of the gauge comes off easily, you can the check the state of the bourdon tube. There is a fair chance it's OK and it's only the gauge surround that is damaged.
Or if you are still worried, you can remove the offending gauge and fit a 1/8 bsp plug in the hole (my gauge was 1/8).

I had a similar thing happen and now restrain my gas bottle to avoid it happening again.

Cheers

I can get a good look at this tube thing, the clear face of the guage popped clean out and the backing of the housing also popped off.
Quite intricate looking. I think for piece of mind i will get a replacement guage and not move it again and risk another fall until then.

Thanks guys, the APA should be worth it!
It was my best pre-carbonated beer to date taste wise out of the kegging fermenter!

Bats i will try and find out where to get one and let you know if i am successful.

Cheers,

D80

Like others this happened to me a few times. Cylinders ok, guage buggered, replaced them (Craftbrewer stocks spares). An occy strap around cylinders has prevented this for the past 3 years.

Screwy

Whilst not CO2 my boys regularly smash regulator gauges on oxy sets. Never had one leak because of a smashed gauge.

Latest posts

Back