Gardening Help

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

3GumsBrewing

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Since i am on this forum every day thought i'd start here first.

I have a backyard with horrible neddle palms (those fu#king palm trees with 4 inch long needles protuding from it). I have organised a chainsaw for next weekend so they are all going, in all about 6 of the bastards (really, who would plant neddle palms in a suburban backyard!)

I have a very outdoors loving daughter (2.5 years old). I would like to re-do the plants in the backyard to give her somthing to explore through but at the same time blocking out the neighbours quite quickly.

If you look at this pic its the area behind the murraya and the trampoline swinging all the way to the right.

Backyard

Any ideas?

Cheers
DK

Neighbours-be-gone (a dwarf lilly pilly) grow up to a metre a year, and can be pruned into any shape you like. Once you top them, they only grow a metre or so more. Can be a little high maintainence though. Check these out

Neighbours-be-gone (a dwarf lilly pilly) grow up to a metre a year, and can be pruned into any shape you like. Once you top them, they only grow a metre or so more. Can be a little high maintainence though. Check these out

+1 or Mock orange beautiful sweet sented flowers in spring which your daughter will love

Carmellia's grow well in NSW I've seen them hedged at 4 metres tall the cultivar I think you need is called (Carmellia Sasanqua) they are the taller growers.

Great tips guys, I will check them out this weekend. Wish me luck getting the palms out!
DK

There is also a purple fruiting lilypilly that has edible fruit...and can be trimmed and shaped

You gys took the words right out of my mouth. We planted lillypillys (ies?) as a screen and they are fantastic. Fruit makes a nice jam as well.

I wonder how lillypilly mead would taste...

Cheers
Dave

Back