Gardening Australia, turning your hops into an abomination!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've seen how they tell people to prune grape-vines and well after many years of doing it for a living, I'm glad they showed me the right way. Mind you I,d rather gardening australia was on telly than not. You see, I have a massive crush on Jane. Rulers, chalk and stuff.

Next month they are going to show how to make meth from common native plants found in local bushland.

I just don't get modern media slop. Good people having to be turned into puppets to sell something good to the people.
Of course when someone has to perform like a puppet the realness is lost.
Or just hire puppets to sell something good to the people and totally ******* it up, because they have no clue, they're just puppets.

Heads up, next week's episode of Gardening Australia will feature brewing with home grown hops. I think its the hops they grew in the Gardening Australia plot they have in the Botanic Gardens down in Tassie. They showed a snippet at the end of the episode I saw today and they had a large pot on the boil. Looks like it might be all grain so check it out if you can.

hoppy2B said:
Heads up, next week's episode of Gardening Australia will feature brewing with home grown hops. I think its the hops they grew in the Gardening Australia plot they have in the Botanic Gardens down in Tassie. They showed a snippet at the end of the episode I saw today and they had a large pot on the boil. Looks like it might be all grain so check it out if you can.
I saw the promo as well, be interesting to watch seeing as Tino Carnavale is a keen homebrewer.

hoppy2B said:
Wild hops .

hoppy2B said:
Can't wait to hear the responses from all you dicks about how he didn't address the role of enzymes during conversion, how PH affects the mash, and how the way he brews is slightly different than yours.

It was very simple, as above, didn't go into the micro chemistry of beer making, developing hops and grain from the primordial swamp to the latter day strains, or what to do when your airlock does or doesn't bubble - but really - pretty good. A couple of dudes made beer (or some parts of the process) on a national show.

As it involved beer making, i happened to be watching at the time and got the veto of calling for spousal and progeny quiet for the 5 odd minutes which was quite priceless.....

And since it is a gardening show, it was a bit partial towards the hop plant.

No different to the same segment about picking berries and making jam

In the show they picked some 'wild' hops. These were growing next to a creek, and could be found by looking for rows of poplars which were the old windbreaks used in former hop growing areas.

They used the hops wet for both bittering and as a late addition to an extract and steeped grain brew.

I thought it was pretty good as far as giving beginners a look at how it is done. It was only a short segment overall so there wasn't enough time to go into a detailed explanation explaining all grain brewing.

Latest posts

Back