Garden Hose?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

misfit

Reaction score
Quick ???? Does anyone just use the garden hose to fill their fermenter or is that asking for trouble?????Cheers

I wouldn't. Taste the water out of a garden hose and you'll see it tastes tainted.

yep, as per Rowy, not a good idea.

If you posted this in the all grain section then it wouldn't be half as much a problem, as any bugs and crap in the garden hose supply is going to get boiled anyway.

I used to use the garden hose to fill my hlt in an all grain rig, but i wouldn't ever consider using it to fill a fermenter.

Even bunnings have caravan potable water hose that you can fit normal garden hose connectors to. Not much more exxy than garden hose.

Thanks for the advice guys, Doing a couple of brews today and was think about the hose instead of carrying 23l x2 out to the brew fridge.
Yeh just being lazy,it was a big day yesterday!!! B)
I will scratch that idea
Cheers

I tried it over many years, and back in my kit days I ended up using the garden hose; I was always going to buy a water grade hose but never did.

First rule for any hose (garden hose, brewery hose etc), pour some water through it at the temperature you plan on using it at and drink it (drink the water not the hose :lol: ) . If it tastes crappy, you get crappy beer. I found a brand new hose the water always tastes like hose. But once its a bit older, I used to use the hose to clean the fermenter etc. When it's time to fill the fermenter for beer always let the hose run for a minute so you are not using any water that has sat in the hose for any period of time.

In summary, let it run until you have fresh water in the hose then taste test it. If it taste good, then it's good. Then if you ever remember, buy a potable water grade hose.

QldKev

mmm.. I did it out of the tap, didn't even think about water quality. Is it the hose that makes it taste bad? Or do garden taps normally come from a different source?

I had high hopes for this beer, that would be a shame.

mmm.. I did it out of the tap, didn't even think about water quality. Is it the hose that makes it taste bad? Or do garden taps normally come from a different source?

I had high hopes for this beer, that would be a shame.

Most garden taps come from the same source as the main water for the house. At my place we have 1 tap (clearly marked) which is plumbed into the rain water tank along with the toilets and washing machine etc. There was some estates that did have a treated rain water source for garden taps, but I assume they too would be marked.

Generally, if the water tastes good to drink it'll make good beer. So all should be good.

QldKev

Back