Galvanised Steel In Mlt

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ces

Reaction score
hey guys,

just watched a video (USA) where a guys made a tight coil out of thin galvanized steel wire, then pushed it in to his stainless steel braid to stop the braid collapsing under weight of grain and water. seems good in principle but the galvanized steel option seems a bit risky. or are the temps not hot enough in a MLT to have zinc come out of the wire?

why i ask is that i plan on going the braided option as a filter in my MLT.

thanks for the help

Why take the chance when you can get Stainless wire? I bet he will end up with Rust at the least.

Where in Oz can we get stainless wire? The big green shed doesn't have it. :(

Mig wire. Probably get crucified for non- food safeness though...

Might just go with nylon fishing line for my use (sewing stainless mesh into a hop blocked). Thanks.

I would have thought stainless cable would work, the kind of stuff they use for balluastrades and boating, avaliable at the big green shed. :)

I was thinking welding wire. If the weld is good enough to brew on, then the wire should be. Always could get some stainless tubing and drill a bunch of holes in it. Put that inside the braid and away you go. Lots of good options besides steel coated with zinc. I bet you may even be able to find stainless steel springs if you look hard enough.

With that acid wort I bet the zinc will be gone and the steel rust in to time. Not to mention what will happen to the zinc layer when bending it in a small coil. Then you have rust stained braid as well as who knows what in your beer.

Not having taken the time to search, I wonder if the galvanized steel and stainless braid would have a galvanic reaction anyway. If you are not familiar it is when one metal reacts with a different metal in particular conditions. Like hot acid wort.

A small amount of zinc is good for your health.

hey guys,

for sydney siders.... just picked up 1 m of 1/2 inch, s/s round tube (for custom pick-ups) and 8 m of 0.8 mm s/s wire from
'mr stainless'- in drummoyne for about 15 bucks (no affiliation).

tubing's a little expensive but the only other place i've found that stocks 1/2 inch tubing is in blacktown (i'm in mascot).

hope this helps someone.

Always could get some stainless tubing and drill a bunch of holes in it. Put that inside the braid and away you go.

If someone was gonna do this, why wouldn't they just use copper tubing inside a braid? Drilling a small diameter stainless tube would be the biggest pain in the arse ever.

And further more, if your gonna put some steel tubing up a braid manifold, why use the braid? Just use the steel tube....

Copper is so easy to work with, and there's no shortage of brewers using copper manifolds - myself included.

Latest posts

Back