Galvanised Steel & Effects on Taste

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Econwatson

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Anybody have any issues with the above? I use galvanised nuts and bolts for the legs on my malt pipe and am concerned it may impart nasty flavours but would be a little pricey to replace all galvanised with stainless. What do you think?

Cheers!

Not sure how fast the Zinc oxide would dissolve with the acidic mash environment if it was in contact with the wort but might not be long.

out out out

Stainless in.

Gal wont last long imo.

I have galv pipe for the hot water running to my bathroom (rest of the house is copper). That tap always has a metallic smell to the water which is annoying, most people say I'm crazy but I can definitely notice it!

How would galv bolts/nuts on a hop spider go? Would the steam coming off the boil be enough to attack the galv and drip back any nasties/flavours?

Ya mate. Stay clear of gal with steam or hot environment. I'd be reluctant to use it in any food/drink preparations.

They still today use gal for plumbing so its not going to kill you, but yeh it'll taste.
Just replumbed my farm house with poly after it being gal forever, man the water taste so much better now, and its actually see through now.

Damn, stainless steel carriage/coach bolts are exxy!!!

DJ_L3ThAL said:
I have zero... :unsure:
And your a lil to far away for me to help sorry.

You'll be right, throw your hard earned on Plateau Gold in the 5th at Grafton today and you might get a bit back, or lose it all and not even afford a washer, but it'll be fun :lol:

Post a pic of how its setup, I might have some stainless bolts here, no guarantee

shaunous said:
You'll be right, throw your hard earned on Plateau Gold in the 5th at Grafton today and you might get a bit back, or lose it all and not even afford a washer, but it'll be fun :lol:
That's one of your's, isn't it?

law-of-ohms said:
Post a pic of how its setup, I might have some stainless bolts here, no guarantee
photo%206.jpg

Haven't assembled mine yet have just bought the bits and bobs, still need the PVC reducer also. The coach bolts were (need to be for my keggle) 130mm long.

Tutorial (although it's pretty f-en simple), is here https://byo.com/build-it-yourself/item/2427-build-a-hop-spider-projects

I see. Dont buy thst reducer just yet. Leave it with me untill I get home tonight

Hmm, really appreciate the offer mate, but this has made me think perhaps I'm best off just not using a hop spider at all and continuing to throw hops into the boil loose to avoid this hassle?

Thanks for the responses guys. I reckon it will look better with stainless anyway!

Re. Hop spider, aluminium tube is about $2.50 a metre at bunnings, just run a length straight across the kettle (but it won't be a spider then I guess)

Back