Galaxy Hops

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HBHB

Reaction score
Hi all, following on from a short period of panic buying of Galaxy, (6 months supply in 1 day) we've withdrawn Galaxy from the website until we can sort it out since it's reached critical stock levels.

Once we know where we're at (in the morning) we'll activate it on the front end of the website if there's anything left. ( knew I should have put a bit aside for myself)

Demand pressure from the Australian and USA micro's has exhausted all there is from any of the wholesalers and growers.

Fear not, while next year is already projected to be a short supply year, there's some varieties coming online that will rival Galaxy on flavour and 1 variety that doesn't have the harshness. We have a limited supply on the way in a few days of that 1 variety which will be used for development of recipes. A little will be released publicly for trial. More details to follow, but it sounds promising.

All other stocks are doing OK at this stage, but a few may run out before the next harvest.

Martin

Hahahaa, do I get a discount for posting a link in the other thread Martin? :drinks:

I see what's happening here Martin... create panic in the market with a product shortage, remove the product from the your shelves and begin rationing it out at inflated 'famine times' prices, thus cornering the market making a mountain of moolah... :eek:

Behind that harmless genial facade you are a shrewd Machiavellian businessman after-all!

Joking of course ^_^ but still devastated that my favorite hop is in shortage. I better make my last 110g count and use this opportunity to try out some new hops or use up all the open packets in my freezer (they do pile up).

No Hop Hog or S&W Pacific Ale clones for a while, eh boys?

sp0rk said:
Making a Pacific Ale clone this weekend ;)
oh that passionfruit :icon_drool2:

Ive attempted that beer a few times, whats your take on the recipe Spork?

Making a Pacific Ale clone this weekend ;)
Just gonna brag one last time (but I'm not promising anything)
I won a kilo of Galaxy from S&W this year...

menoetes said:
No Hop Hog or S&W Pacific Ale clones for a while, eh boys?
I'm doing a SWPA clone right now with the 70gms in my freezer, and I have another 200gms in the post :D

Pratty1 said:
oh that passionfruit :icon_drool2:

Ive attempted that beer a few times, whats your take on the recipe Spork?
If this helps you at all (I have literally just milled and am heating the strike water now, so don't take this as a 'good' clone recipe yet) I'm doing:

59.57% Galaxy Pale
38.3% JW Wheat
2.13% Carapils

10gm Galaxy @ 30
10gm Galaxy @ 0

No Chill cube, should get me 1046/1012 @ 23.4IBU and 4.5%

Pretty much exactly the same as slcmorro's, only with regular old medium crystal instead of carapils
And possibly might add a little dry hops to the fermenter on day 3 or so

slcmorro said:
10gm Galaxy @ 30
10gm Galaxy @ 0

No Chill cube, should get me 1046/1012 @ 23.4IBU and 4.5%
galaxy @ 30m....argh, I thought we already covered this.....lol

feel free to man, but Id advise against it, she only plays well when you go very late in the kettle or when you have a massive bittering charge to combine/overide that 30min addition.

You said you have 70g and more in the post.....just a single 5min addition to 15 or so Ibu and get the rest from the no chill or just cube hop the amount required to get 22ibu?

bad news for ya slcmorro, I have put out a contract for the interception of your galaxy hops package but on a positive note it will be considered a lovely Christmas gift!

fwiw - galaxy all the way though is fantastic but I think I will be saving mine - er and yours for dry hopping

yours gleefully
postie with connections

I don't subscribe to the fear of using Galaxy as a single sole bittering hop, especially only at 30 and only at 10gms. I went back through my notes from a year ago and made a Galaxy Pale hopped with 60 min bittering additions, and it was fine. Maybe my palate is different.

I will dry hop with another 30gms when it's about halfway through fermenting.

Might be worth while taking this banter to the main forums so it doesn't bump the other Forum Sponsors topics guys. (Please)

Thanks,
Martin

Back