Galaxy grassy flavour.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cummy

Reaction score
So I tried a pacific ale using Galaxy hops with dry hopping as my third brew. I made the mistake too much galaxy and have a beer which is nice on the nose, not too bad tasting but has a grassy after taste. Will this improve with age or is it as good as it will get. I think k the brew is about 6 weeks after bottling.

May not improve much. A lot of brewers recommend using whole hops to reduce grassiness.

Yeah, galaxy throws up a lot of grassy notes, it's pretty hard to get rid of it. That said, I disagree with the above post that argues whole hops reduce grassy notes. Whole hops contain more vegetable matter than pellets, and that is where the grassy notes come from.

Curiously, how many days from bottling did you dry hop?

Galaxy is an amazing hop to use for dry hopping, I have a few questions to determine if you used it correctly:
  • when did you add the hops to the fermenter ?
  • how much did you add ?
  • what temp did you dry hop at ?
  • how long did you dry hop for ?
:)

peas_and_corn said:
Yeah, galaxy throws up a lot of grassy notes, it's pretty hard to get rid of it. That said, I disagree with the above post that argues whole hops reduce grassy notes. Whole hops contain more vegetable matter than pellets, and that is where the grassy notes come from.

You may well be correct there P and C. From memory, the theory goes that increasing the surface area,using pellets, extracts more of everything, including grassiness. but i'm just passing on secondhand info there. Never used whole hops yet.

I haven't found this in the past but my latest galaxy pale is very grassy. I dry hopped at 20 through cold crash over 5 days

Galaxy can give off grassy flavors if left in for too long.

Better off halving your dry hop amount, leave one half in for 2 days, remove then add other half for 2 days.

wereprawn said:
May not improve much. A lot of brewers recommend using whole hops to reduce grassiness.
For me, I found this to be true. I only used galaxy flowers now. I never had much success with the pellets (grass or harsh bitterness). FYI - I mostly 100% cube hop these types of beers.

Arch82 said:
Galaxy can give off grassy flavors if left in for too long.

Better off halving your dry hop amount, leave one half in for 2 days, remove then add other half for 2 days.
This. Get it in and get it out.

Back