Galaxy Dry Hopping - How much is too much?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Glad to say the Authentic IPA recipe I did with the 2 hops (Citra & Galaxy) was a blast. It has gone from a very nice brew to a wonderful brew. Will definitely be doign ti again. It is so easy as well. Just used the Cioopers Autherntic IPA Recipe and then dry-hopped with 50grams of each of Citra and Galaxy for the last 5 days of a 14-day period in teh fermenter.

I've also do a slightly different version on my Three-Pete Pale Ale. The first version I used 20grams of 3 hops in a steep at the front end and the remaining 30gram x 3 hops in a dry-hop - it turned out with quite a bitter hit. This version I only did 20grams of Amarillo at the front end and the balance 1 x 30gram amarillo + 50gram of galaxy and centennial as a dry-hop - which should tame down the bitterness. Bottled it last Saturday and will taste the first sample this Friday.

Laid down another brew on Saturday after bottling the pale ale. Got the recipe from a mob in Newcastle. Its intented to be a a James Squires Hop Thief clone @ 5.0% abv. The ingredient list was:

• [SIZE=12pt]1 can Black Rock Golden Ale[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=12pt]1.5kg Amber Malt [/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=12pt]15g Citra hops[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=12pt]15g Ella hops [/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=12pt]Safale 04 Yeast or American Ale Yeast[/SIZE]
Mix the first 2 items in 2 litres of hot water, and then top up to 23 Litres with cold water and give a good stir. Then just before pitching the yeast, put the 2 lots of hops in 250ml of boiling water for 5 mins. Then toss the whole hop mixture directly into the fermenter and stir. Then pitch the yeast. I'll leave in the fermenter for 14 days. I might throw in some finings for the last 3 days to clear it up a little before bottling. Still tossing up whether to dry-hop it with either some more ella or citra.

Cheers,
Pete

^ ^ Pete,

Just some advice for dry hoping. Next brew, keep the hops and add them when fermentation shows signs of slowing down eg around 3-5gravity points from expected gravity. The reason for this is you will get better extraction of the oils that remain in the final beer.

The method you used will see alot of those hop oils scrubbed out during fermentation via co2 blow off , plus the yeast is super super sticky and the hops oils will be taken up by the yeast and drop out to the bottom.

See how this beer goes and then try dry hopping after ferment to compare. Thought I would share that because early on I dry hopped how you have done and got turned off dry hopping because of the results. Now i dry hop all the time and at the end of fermentation for 7-10days @ 21c.

Dan

Thanks for your comments, Dan.

I am aware of the disappearance of the hops goodies during fermentation - but appreciate you telling just the same thanks.

I'm only doing the recipe this way (ie. adding the hops at the beginning) as the recipe called for this. I will dry-hop towards the end, as I know flavour/aroma will have been lost in what was quite an active fermentation too. I think I'll just dry-hop with the remaining 30grams of Ella to see what this variety of hop gives the brew, as I haven't used Ella before. Was going to call this brew the Bug Spray APA due to the hops (ie. Citra-n-Ella = Citronella) :) I crack me up sometimes.

Cheers,
Pete

I have a cream ale/lager which has been laggering for 8 weeks.

4kg 2-row
500g polenta
500g jasmine rice
1kg honey (high krausen)
3 additions of Helga for 25IBUs
Saflager

Yesterday I had a spur of the moment urge to dry hop the lager. I still had Galaxy and Mosaic left over from one of my other brews so chucked it in. 40g each at 1c for 5-6 days if guessing. WIll give it a sample every 24 hours until i'm happy. It has been 24 hours so far, and there isn't much in the way of aroma but the flavour of the brew has definitely changed. Has anyone else dry hopped a lager with galaxy?

Just dry hopped a pale ale with 50g galaxy no problems for 3 days at primary temps and could of done with more. Having said that, the pellets were in the form of a tea bag, so could of been restricting some of the oils

Hi guys,

Hoping I can get some help here. I'm doing a Stone & Wood Pacific Ale (23L Batch) clone and planning on dry hopping with galaxy hops to get that fruity passionfruit aroma.

I've read lot of posts about successes and failures about dry hopping galaxy with too much resulting in a grassy taste. I'm thinking somewhere around the 20g mark around day 4 top be on the safe side.

Thoughts? Appreciate anyone's help/advice.

Cheers, Tim
Hi Tim,

How did your brew turn out? How much Galaxy did you end up using when dry hopping. I am doing a Stone and Wood clone and about to dry hop tomorrow. Cheers🍻🍻🍻

Hi Tim,

How did your brew turn out? How much Galaxy did you end up using when dry hopping. I am doing a Stone and Wood clone and about to dry hop tomorrow. Cheers🍻🍻🍻
That was 6 years ago so I hope he kept good notes!

My last Hazy IPA had a 300g dry hop in total, I think 20g will be completely fine.

That was 6 years ago so I hope he kept good notes!

My last Hazy IPA had a 300g dry hop in total, I think 20g will be completely fine.
Thanks Kadium, Wow time sure does fly lol. Thinking of using 25 g Galaxy hop pellets (not bagged) and 2 x 12.5 tea bags. Too much?

Thanks Kadium, Wow time sure does fly lol. Thinking of using 25 g Galaxy hop pellets (not bagged) and 2 x 12.5 tea bags. Too much?
Really depends on what you're going for.

I did 2 x 150g dry hops of T90 pellets (usual pellets) and left em for a week in the fermenter.

Was a bit hot and got a little hop creep on it, but it was bloody good.

So I wouldn't think 50g would give you anything near a grassy flavour (which I think is a bit of a myth to be honest)

But I guess it depends on style etc. I think for the pacific ale it should be great!

I haven't used Galaxy in a number of years. It definitely *used* to have a huge passionfruit hit. What are people's thoughts on current year's Galaxy? I've had a few Pacific Ales fresh from the brewery recently and I no longer get very much passionfruit at all. Is this a result in change of hops or a change on Stone & Wood's part?

Really depends on what you're going for.

I did 2 x 150g dry hops of T90 pellets (usual pellets) and left em for a week in the fermenter.

Was a bit hot and got a little hop creep on it, but it was bloody good.

So I wouldn't think 50g would give you anything near a grassy flavour (which I think is a bit of a myth to be honest)

But I guess it depends on style etc. I think for the pacific ale it should be great!
I am going to dry hop for 48 hours as per the recipe instructions. Also in this recipe I used steeped carapils grain. First time I have used grain with extract so looking forward to the end result.

I am going to dry hop for 48 hours as per the recipe instructions. Also in this recipe I used steeped carapils grain. First time I have used grain with extract so looking forward to the end result.
Should be pretty good mate. Steeping grains adds a little somthin somthin which is nice.

You'll end up with a nice easy drinker.

Just kegged my Stone and Wood Clone. A little disappointed as the opening on the keg tap clogged up with what I believe with the floaties from the Galaxy dry hoped pellets and only managed about 17 litres. Cold crashing as I speak.

Back