Gage Roads Pumpkin Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had one on the weekend as well...I found the warmer it got the better it tasted (or maybe the drunker I got haha)

Wasn't impressed by the spice flavour of it, too weak for me...the best spiced beer I have ever tasted was is still BrewDog's "There Is No Santa" that thing was OUT OF CONTROL with spices!

Brew Dog has to have the best names and descriptions of their beers.

EG Punk IPA......

This is not a lowest common denominator beer.

This is an aggressive beer.

We don't care if you don't like it.

We do not merely aspire to the proclaimed heady heights of conformity through neutrality and blandness.

It is quite doubtful that you have the taste or sophistication to appreciate the depth, character and quality of this premium craft brewed beer.

You probably don't even care that this rebellious little beer contains no preservatives or additives and uses only the finest fresh natural ingredients.

Just go back to drinking your mass marketed, bland, cheaply made watered down lager, and close the door behind you.

BrewDog: Beer for Punks.

BrewDog is about breaking rules, taking risks, upsetting trends and unsettling institutions but first and foremost, great tasting beer.

Awesome... just awesome....

my biggest gripe was the base beer being too light. It was so devoid of maltyness and mouthfeel it was more like drinking spiced ginger ale rather than a beer.

I did hear that the Matso's Mango they brew at GR now is just Dry Dock plied with mango syrup, so maybe they're pulling a similar trick with the pumpkin ale.

Don't really want to start rumours, but I heard it on good authority and I guess I've been waiting for an excuse to post it.

EG Punk IPA......

We do not merely aspire to the proclaimed heady heights of conformity through neutrality and blandness.

It is quite doubtful that you have the taste or sophistication to appreciate the depth, character and quality of this premium craft brewed beer.

You probably don't even care that this rebellious little beer contains no preservatives or additives and uses only the finest fresh natural ingredients.

Just go back to drinking your mass marketed, bland, cheaply made watered down lager, and close the door behind you.

BrewDog is about breaking rules, taking risks, upsetting trends and unsettling institutions but first and foremost, great tasting beer.

I'm following you way off topic here Damien, but I really don't care for this kind of craft brew marketing. Like everyone here I don't want a bland beer, but the old spidey senses start tingling with similarities to pretentious wine snobbery when I read the self advert by BrewDog above :ph34r: . May be just me, may be we'll get lucky and the gruen transfer will cover this next week ;)

Just my 'opinion' (that might get me in trouble heh heh), but -

I sometimes wonder why, as 'craftbrewers' there (for some) seems to be a need for a beer to be completely off its farken rocker? Gage Roads IPA - not an IPA by a longshot, but not necessarily a bad beer to knock down the gullet. Pumpkin Ale - not the equivalent of eating pumpkin pie, but not a bad beer, Atomic - a really boring pale ale, but not a bad beer. Even that English thing...not remotely close to being an English anything, but in and of itself not a particularly bad malty amber beer.

Sure, they peddle VERY toned down (and sometimes downright misleading) versions of what they advertise, but - maybe I'm just a shit brewer - I'd be happy to consistently churn out beers in this sort of ballpark (not necessarily the 'types'). Sometimes consistently brewing the easy-drinker is much harder than the super-duper 800 IBU coriander-infused black wheat IPA with toe-nail clippings.

I've only had one other pumpkin ale which was ShaneR's from a Melb caseswap a while ago and it was incredibly interesting and a fantastic beer. But I can happily drink one or two longnecks of the gage pumpkin towards the end of the night...just not the same thing... like lumping any ale with a heap of dark malts into the concept of a 'stout'.

Whether doing what they do is a good or bad thing in terms of introducing the mainstream to more interesting beers is another issue again (not one I feel strongly about).

Anyway.

No affiliation...just gettin' my drunk on.

ive tried bothe gageroads and american saranac pumkin ales both ordinary, they having nothing on murrays craft brewing smashing pumkin ale which is only on tap
just my opinion

ive tried bothe gageroads and american saranac pumkin ales both ordinary, they having nothing on murrays craft brewing smashing pumkin ale which is only on tap
just my opinion

I can also vouch for Murrays, it is quite a nice pumpkin Ale. But im pretty bias to Murrays as well as they make some REALLY good beers!

With this at $4 a (mini-)long neck and Saramac pumpkin ale at $14 a six pack at BWS I tried both. At that price, they're both pretty good but I'd go with Saramac been the better tasting, more malty of the two.

I've tasted both. I prefer the Saranac. Gage roads at times was very spicy with little to back it up except alcohol. Saranac is a lot more balanced imo- though as others have said could do with more pumpkin flavour.

Gotta say it's the first pumpkin ale I've tried although I'm gonna put one down soon. Not too bad, subtle hints of pumpkin and spices, very drinkable, off to see if First Choice has the Saranac one(will post a comment after I try it).
Also very biased towards Murrays ever since trying all they were brewing at Taylors Arms AKA The Pub With No Beer :D

Just wanted to resurrect this post, to see if anyone has tried the 2013 release of the Gage Roads Pumpkin Ale.... as well as the Saranac Pumpkin ale.

These have recently appears in the local DM - both have new labels so just wondering if the recipe for each is the same.

Damien13 said:

EG Punk IPA......

Not very original, Stone used this kind of marketing way back with Arrogant *******

Latest posts

Back