Gabs

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wolfy

Reaction score
Rather than clutter up the GBW thread with GABS specific stuff, I thought a new-thread would be in order.

I presume a number of AHB members will be attending tonight (Friday) or over the weekend, but since I volunteered for the first session on Friday here are some pictures and info of what to expect.

This is what to expect (photo taken from the VIP lounge), two large containers at each end of the hall, with two bars on each side - all bars pour the same 60 beers. A central stage with band and entertainment, various tables through the hall, food vendors off to the right (out of photo) and the 'Craft Beer College' at the far left of this shot (upstairs exactly opposite of where this photo was taken from).
GABS1.jpg

Photo was taken late during the Friday session, when things were very quiet, I'd expect many more people at the Evening and Weekend sessions.

The beer list, with more info here, and in the guidebook you'll be given at entry or can pickup at Dan Murphys beforehand.
GABS3.jpg

58 beers, some cider, wine and softdrink.
Some very interesting and unusual beers (including those with chili, kiwi fruit, rose petals, Christmas tree), as well as many other decent craft beers (IPA's, Belgians, wheat beers etc), most all of which are new and unique to the festival - some made for the first time just for this event.

The 4 bars is where it all happens, 60 beer taps lined up on either side of a refrigerated container.
GABS2.jpg

The procedure for most people is to grab their wooden tasting paddle, write on it (in chalk) which beers they'd like to sample, and then take it to the bar-attendants who will add the beer to the paddle, however individual glasses of a specific beer can also be purchased. Read the beer guide descriptions, and select the beer that you think you'll most enjoy, or pick some things that are unusual and you have not had before, and may not have a chance to get again, because it's highly unlikely that you'd get to sample all 60 beers in one session. :)

I found some of the beers I tried very interesting, some great and others not really to my tastes. Depending on how how busy things are and how quickly the beer is moving, sometimes the beer sample glasses (plastic cups) can sit for a little while after it's been poured and before it's given to the customers, so asking for a freshly poured sample cup might be a good idea IMHO.

Good work with the photos and details Wolfy. I was fortunate enough to make it to the arvo session today and certainly glad I did. So many great beers to try, I just wish I could of tried them all :icon_drool2: .
As with different beers I though I better also mention the Watermelon beer by Feral, which is no.55 on the tasting list. I heard lots of conversation about it and thought I better put it on the to try list, well what can I say I wasn't disappointed. It is described as a warhead lolly which is accurate as it is slightly sweet up front then has a lovely sour tart finish (great if you love sour beers).
Anyway good luck to everyone fortunate enough to make it to GABS over the next couple of days, and commiserations for those that can't. Couldn't ask for more, so many great beers and met some really great beer lovers and brewers :beer: .

Also volunteered yesterday- great fun.
I'll be attending as a punter tonight- cant wait

I went yesterday arvo and it was great. Very quiet and no queues. My favorites were the Moon Dog sour ale (I forget it's name) and the watermelon one from Feral. Most were good with only a few disappointments from the ones I sampled.

Heading in to town shortly for the arvo session today, looking forward to some of the out of the square beers that have been brewed up for it.

Wow it was busy in the Saturday day/afternoon session, but not so bad for the nighttime one.
Out of all the 60 beers the one I paid for a refill on was #51 a 'Double Dubbel IPA' which I really enjoyed.

worked the busy Saturday afternoon session. Great fun and glad I did. Went last night. Some great beers. Particularly loved the Yeastie Boys Earl Gray Ipa and the Moondog Mr Mephistopheles wild fruit beer but there were lots of others I enjoyed my taster of. Looking forward to todays session :)

Can't wait to get in there today!

I went to the Saturday afternoon session. I chose my first five beers from the list I printed out off the website. I thought some of them looked weird. I then realised that the beers list on the website is in a different order to the list at the event!
It was very busy and the queues were pretty bad but the whole thing was so well organised, and the people (staff, volunteers and punters) were all so laid back, the day was a great success. My favourite of the day was the Red Hill Sticke Alt. Moon Dog Mr Mistofelees is also definitely worth a taste.

Renaissance oak aged scotch ale was beer of show for me. Another oak aged one was also good. Epic zythos and the simcoe one next to it also good.

Can't wait for the leftover dregs to be served to us here in Sydney!

Can't wait for the leftover dregs to be served to us here in Sydney!
Late yesterday I was speaking to one of the owners about what will happen with all the kegs that are left-over, they plan (or have an agreement with the brewers or something) to have them on tap at TheLocalTaphouse over the next few months - I'm just not sure how many they will be shipping up to Sydney. He suggested that the logistics of getting all the kegs and setup done for the event was equivalent to an ACDC concert.

While I know the brewers are not likely to read this, I'd still like to thank all those who brewed something special, unique and different for GABS. While the usual-stuff (Brown Ales, IPA's etc) were good, it was the unique and one-off beers, that I've never had before (and may never again) that made the event much more interesting and enjoyable. Some of those unique beers were not my thing (too much chilli, too much funk etc) but I was pleasantly surprised at how interestingly good some of the one-off beers were (rose petals, EarlGrey tea, coconut, Christmas-tree, chocolate, karaka fruit, watermelon).

Loving today. So cruisy. Any brewers who read this come and say hello. Sitting with Ross and Dave (Pockebeers). Look for the guy in the flanny hoody and the grey hat (all class me)

Loving today. So cruisy. Any brewers who read this come and say hello. Sitting with Ross and Dave (Pockebeers). Look for the guy in the flanny hoody and the grey hat (all class me)

Shout Ross a nice wheat beer from me......he loves them apparently.............get Dave a Fourex Gold.

ihad a good day yesterday at the midday session, although the lines proved to be a pain from about 1pm on. Had some nice and interesting beers for the most part. The Sweet Potato Porter, S!mcoe, Imperial Pilsner & Koffee Stout are my picks.

I wish I could have made it!!! Bought the tickets months ago and but my little girl didn't get to sleep until 2:30 Sat morning and was planning to leave Wodonga around 7 to make it to the 12pm session.... :( but slept in.

Latest posts

Back