G’day from BrisVegas

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrumbleBrew

Reaction score
G’day all,

I’m pretty new to this hobby, having kicked off a couple of Christmas’s ago with a Mangrove Jacks microbrewery as a gift.

I’ve always loved to cook, and I like sciencey stuff, so brewing turned out to be the perfect combo.😁 Didn’t take long before I got completely hooked!

Next thing our old wine fridge got repurposed as fermentation fridge. Quickly got sick of cleaning bottles and cobbled together a cheap kegging setup with 2.4L PET bottles and Kegland fittings.

Was enjoying the extract brews, but after doing a couple of stove top partial mashes I decided to dive right down the rabbit hole and try all grain. Went for a digiboil and BIAB bag as a starter.

Spent the next twelve months saving up pocket money, and lashed out on a 4 Tap kegerator. So now 1/2 the garage has been rebadged as Ithaca Creek Brewing (I know…I‘m a tosser, but I’m having fun!)

Currently on tap are a session lager, NZ IPA (extract), Schwarzbier (which was meant to be a partial mash Dunkel, but I put too much chocolate malt in) and a ginger beer.

Feels like I’ve learned a shitload over the last couple of years, but at the same time have only just scratched the surface of what there is to learn.

Cheers

Thanks philrob, Appreciate the welcome.

Recently lived at The Gap for a couple of years myself. There’s plenty around, but unfortunately none very close. What I’ve found so far:

Country Brewer at Stafford is the closest, so good for convenience and basics.
Hoppy Days at Virginia is hard to beat for range and advice.
I find the people at the Brew shed at Strathpine super friendly, but it’s a bit of a hike.
I used to go to Canon Hill home brewing for their range, low prices, and being open on a Sunday. Unfortunately they‘ve dropped the ball since their tap room opened. Online store has been offline for over a year.

Cheers

G’day all,

I’m pretty new to this hobby, having kicked off a couple of Christmas’s ago with a Mangrove Jacks microbrewery as a gift.

I’ve always loved to cook, and I like sciencey stuff, so brewing turned out to be the perfect combo.😁 Didn’t take long before I got completely hooked!

Next thing our old wine fridge got repurposed as fermentation fridge. Quickly got sick of cleaning bottles and cobbled together a cheap kegging setup with 2.4L PET bottles and Kegland fittings.

Was enjoying the extract brews, but after doing a couple of stove top partial mashes I decided to dive right down the rabbit hole and try all grain. Went for a digiboil and BIAB bag as a starter.

Spent the next twelve months saving up pocket money, and lashed out on a 4 Tap kegerator. So now 1/2 the garage has been rebadged as Ithaca Creek Brewing (I know…I‘m a tosser, but I’m having fun!)

Currently on tap are a session lager, NZ IPA (extract), Schwarzbier (which was meant to be a partial mash Dunkel, but I put too much chocolate malt in) and a ginger beer.

Feels like I’ve learned a shitload over the last couple of years, but at the same time have only just scratched the surface of what there is to learn.

Cheers
Hey mate, what are your thoughts on the Digiboil for BIAB over the last 6-7 months? I currently do extract kits but want to make the switch and have settled on the Digiboil as this seems like a good cheap entry point. Just want to know how it has held up for you since you started. Cheers!

Hey mate, what are your thoughts on the Digiboil for BIAB over the last 6-7 months? I currently do extract kits but want to make the switch and have settled on the Digiboil as this seems like a good cheap entry point. Just want to know how it has held up for you since you started. Cheers!
Hey mate, It was a cheap way to get into the game, and I couldn’t be happier with the investment. As long as you have got a good way to hang your BIAB bag.
Mind you, I have invested in a few upgrades since then to make brewing more enjoyable. Namely the “Digimash” malt pipe kit and a magnetic drive pump for recirculation and transferring to fermenter. This stuff is addictive 😀

Cheers

I have used the 35L digiboil for the last 6 months.

I am a fan but there is not a lot of headroom when boiling 28L for a 23L batch

In saying that considering it was $180 cheaper than a 40 L option I am still happy with mine

Back