Fwk Porter Gone Wrong

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

time01

Reaction score
I have kegged a FWK porter from Bacchus and there is a few things wrong with it.

First of I dont think anything is wrong with the product as I have brewed probably 20 of these in the past with no dramas, mistake is more than likely on my behalf.

-colour is quite different, almost like a amber ale colour.
-taste is quite sweet, almost syrup like.
-having trouble with getting carbonation level correct.

I'm thinking it hadnt finished fermenting as I was in a rush and didnt test with a hydrometer?
if this is the consensus, can it be saved? can I put it back into the fermenter with some fresh yeast and let it finish?

Time.

First off put some in a cup and let it degas and check the gravity, although I think you know the answer already. If it's in bottles then they may not have carbed up yet, that could explain the sweetness. If it hasn't finished then add the whole lot back to the fermenter and pitch some new yeast. Not sure about the colour change, perhaps check with the retailer, maybe you got the wrong kit with a porter label. if it's kegged then let it degas and referment in the keg and keep the pressure valve open.

Back