Fwk - Amarillo Pale Ale Review - (nd Brewing)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aaron86

Reaction score
Gday guys.

2 weeks ago to the day I knocked up my first FWK I bought from Daves Homebrew in North Syd. Some of you probably have already tried the FW kits made by ND Brewing, but I hadnt seen any reviews on the Amarillo Pale Ale batch, so Im writing this quick one up for those who are looking at buying a FWK. I will try to keep it short and sweet.

I bottled it yesterday after a 13 day fermentation straight from the main. FG was around 1010, but I didnt bother measuring the OG, but Im guessing it was around the 1040's.

Colour is golden, however there does not appear to be much aroma from the Amarillo, and taste is not as hoppy as a JSGA, which is its supposed clone, but Im sure after a bottle condition it may appear. Im extremely impressed with the taste, even straight out of the fermenter, there were no rank tastes which I usually get with a 60 min extract boil. Infact, I am so impressed with its taste I saved about 3 litres of it to drink straight away, mainly because I smashed a bottle all over my kitchen floor when I was capping my last bottle. 750mLs of god water all over the floor, not cool.

Im sure after a good condition, carb & chill, this will be a BRILLIANT substitute for JSGA. The quality is just so evident and light years ahead of extract, even after me pitching the yeast far too hot and the fact that it hasnt even conditioned yet.

I did some basic searching on FW kits before I bought this one, and found that most of the people who have tried them have said FW kits are far superior and had inspired them to go AG, I am now one of them. I will absolutely be converting to AG, and will start setting up some gear as soon as I have the room to do so. Im fairly confident I will be shying away from extract from now on, and will get this AG gig right.

I absolutely recommend these kits to anyone wanting better quality than extract but cant do AG for whatever reason. My next will be a chocolate porter in which I will throw some cherry and brewed coffee in after 1 week, should turn out well.

Thanks for reading.

The BC FWKs broke me :(

I now can't imagine doing an extract brew.

I'll be doing my first BIAB soon. But I think it's now FWK or AG ( or cider). There are no alternatives ;)

Back