Future B.a.d

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gava

I do rather like beer.....
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Have had some enquiries about B.A.D and the future since im currnetly the contact for B.A.D on vicbrew website.

We are very relaxed which we like but that also ends in once or twice a year meetings.
Do we want more frequent meetings?
B.A.D newsletter (email) with interesting links to articals? interesting AHB posts etc.?
B.A.D website?
Snail Mail case swaps?

Any other ideas?

cheers Gav.

I'm up for the swap idea (not sure there's enough people interested in a 'case' swap - although with snail mail anyone could join). With a young kid and a second on the way it's a bit hard for me to get out, especially at night. I'd particularly be in for a swap if people were willing to give some feedback as I'm keen to improve so constructive criticism can only help. I tend to use my passouts to go to the footy or a gig.

Has there actually been a meet since the holgate stout swap? Maybe I just missed it...

Sam, you are right there haven't been any meetings since the Holgate meet in winter last year.

I'd be another person willing to swap some beers via snail mail. I have no problem with keeping swap sizes small as I only tend to brew small batches anyway. About those other ideas Gava mentioned: I don't see the need for a website or really a newsletter personally. I don't have stacks of free time, but I think more frequent meetings would be good. If meetings were centered around projects or educational meets (ie/ brewery tours) then you don't feel like you're just meeting for meeting's sake.

Mosher lists these ideas in the club chapter, entitled 'Don't Try This Alone':
  • featured beer style
  • crystal malt tasting
  • invite a local brewer
  • equipment party
  • beer & food pairing
  • mashing demo
  • new brewer day
  • bad beer tasting
  • local beer historian
  • judging practice
  • local water workshop
  • yeast culturing demo
  • invite a beer author
  • hop variety smell-off
  • malt roasting demo
  • sugar cookdown
  • sugar tasting
  • smoked malt tasting
  • judge exam preparation
  • barrel aging beer
  • stone beer

I personally am interested in the barrel idea, but lack cellaring space at home! There are also a heap of pears and apples around on trees. I could get lots of pears if someone has a press for a perry/pear cider workshop.

as always I'm willing to support. I have access to a grape press (can you use them for apples/pears??) - its currently located in NE victoria and is a big bugger. Not sure what volume it holds but looking at Grain and grape, its probably the same as their 180Litre version. I'm sure I could get it down with some bribery (and the assurance we won't affect the next vintage they make!!)

A while back Notung you mentioned a barrel project so I got the old man on the hunt for a barrel (any barrel at this stage!) which so far is proving difficult. What sort would be required? One with a brett infection or a whiskey barrel...? I have room (sort of!) but that will improve down the track when my shed finally gets built.

There is a bit of 'club' movement down here too which has been good, given its a little closer for me. Perhaps the B.A.D and B.A.R could combine resources of sorts and take on the boys in the big smoke :ph34r: :D

Hey Wakka. Pretty interesting to hear about that grape press. I'm assuming, and judging from the googling I've done, that winegrape presses work ok for apples/pears. It's pretty far away though - I think all the pears will be falling soon. I'll think about whether a juicer could do the job or whether I can get my hands on a press around here.

I like the concept of a group barrel aging project. When you have 200L to fill it's something that requires skill sharing and it'd be social. I obviously need to make some contacts with local winos. If anybody does stumble upon a used wine barrel that will hold beer I think we should think about it. If the barrel was infected already that'd be fine. Old ale anyone? We can always add our own funky culture to a clean, retired barrel. (Barrels do retire don't they?) Distilleries aren't that common around here so those sort of barrels will be tricky to find.

A mate of mine is a wine maker, I'll ask him if we can get a barrel..

Latest posts

Back