Future activities

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

n87

Same as it ever was
Reaction score
Because we are so organised.... I have decided to make another list of activities we have been talking about doing so we can sit on our hands a while longer

Group Brew: I have just contacted Duane to see if he is interested in hosting this again, If not, we could all just make the same recipe and compare later.

Brewery tour thing: which brewery?
Foghorn (Erina) does a shuttle to their brewery (Newcastle) for tours
$75 get toured by chief brewer, 4 taster padle, lunch, roadies and a squeeler included http://www.foghornbrewhouse.com.au/erina/brewery-tours/
May be able to talk ourselves into something better depending on numbers

Brewery crawl: A couple of places came up, Newtown or Newcastle

Hosted commercial tasting: Depending on if they have organised their licensing yet, Oldfield cellars (the one under Hungry Jacks/Settlers Arms in Gosford) seemed keen on the idea, will have to visit them again ;)

By my reckoning, we will have a chance to do maybe 1 of these before Christmas in Oct/early Nov before everything turns to mush.

Thoughts?
Available dates?
other suggestions?

We could also organise something for the start of next year.

I'm really short of time with all the things happening at home, but one thing I can manage is the idea of all of the participants brewing the same recipe. Means I don't have to go anywhere, and this activity would improve personal process.

Good man!
Group / individual same recipe should be a definite before years end.

For brewery crawl I vote inner west, we could easily hit young henrys
Grifter, batch and blackfont (I think?) in marrickvile.
October is a right off for me so would be looking at November

OK, what beer do you suggest we brew?
And do you think we should do the same identical brew, or tweak an element each?

Another idea is one of the monthly beer dinners held at foghorn.

i went to the last one and it was money well spent. 3 courses and 6 beers for $49

joshuahardie said:
Another idea is one of the monthly beer dinners held at foghorn.

i went to the last one and it was money well spent. 3 courses and 6 beers for $49
That sounds like a good idea
It appears I am unable to edit my first post to add this in

I think we should do exactly the same recipe. Our systems and fermentation setups will introduce plenty of variation I think.
As for beer - I think something on the simpler side of things, nothing to bold where small differences will be masked or that we need to age for a significant time. Off the top of my head
Bitter, scottish ale, porter, saison, hef, kolsh, altbeir, although the last 2 needs some lagering.
Saying that, if the consensus is IIIPA or a brett barleywine with oak I'm still in.

Yogi Beer said:
I think we should do exactly the same recipe. Our systems and fermentation setups will introduce plenty of variation I think.
As for beer - I think something on the simpler side of things, nothing to bold where small differences will be masked or that we need to age for a significant time. Off the top of my head
Bitter, scottish ale, porter, saison, hef, kolsh, altbeir, although the last 2 needs some lagering.
Saying that, if the consensus is IIIPA or a brett barleywine with oak I'm still in.
I've still got lots of bottles of Barley Wine left from the last group brew at Duanes ;D

It seems I'm cursed to never be able to brew a proper hefeweizen either :( *sigh*

But I'm happy to group-brew whatever.

I would like to do something that most of us haven't done before, would make for a more interesting experience I think.
Beire de garde
Irish red
Kolsh
Altbeir
Scottish ale.

But wouldnt say no to most un-infected styles

Upon reflection, something that would react positively to aging would be a plus, as my guess is that we would brew it this year, but once it has been fermented out and carbed, it will be December, and we likely wont get a meet in till late Jan at the earliest.

I would be keen for a darkish/darker malt-driven brew with a reasonable starting gravity.

I only say that because our unmodified tap water is high in chlorides and extremely low in sulfates, so is suited to beers that are more malt driven and less hop-forward when using straight tap. Also helps those that cube to nail their target IBU.

I'd also be keen to use the same grist, and the same yeast type, but leave the other variables (eg water additions, mash temp, ferm temp, packaging method) open to interpretation. Means we can get more of an idea of our usual processes and feel more comfortable doing what is easiest.

could be coming from my own selfish motivation, as i have never brewed beer darker than a pale in my life and need a decent recipe to use. :lol:

So I guess the consensus is a group brew by correspondence, I will create a new topic where we can decide on the beer. http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/92648-group-brew-by-correspondence/

In other news, I got a reply from Foghorn RE the tour, looks pretty good, maybe something to book in for Q1 next year unless we want to do it this year?
So the below makes a bit more sense, I asked if we could book out a bus off their schedule, and if there was any discount available to a group book.

To answer some of you questions the maximum size of a tour can only be 9 people. This is how many seats we have on the bus, We can certainly book and off scheduled tour we try to keep them on a Saturday rather than do it during the week as Shawn is quite busy brewing and to get the best out of the tour with him we like to keep it to a Saturday. Unfortunately we don’t offer group discounts or extras because the tour isn’t about making money for us its about taking the trip to see the brewery. I understand the $75 is a large cost but with what’s included in the day its actually quite a steal.
Just to refresh for what your $75 gets you,
Breakfast – Bacon and Egg Roll on departure of Foghorn Erina
If 9 people on the bus we would send 2 Growlers of Ideas for everyone to have at least beers on the trip up to Newcastle.
The tour with Shawn Sherlock runs roughly 35 mins through the brewery. A guided tasting with a free paddle of 4 tasting glasses, with Shawn talking you through each beer. We then provide lunch to all on board the tour. To finish off the day and send you back down the M1 you will receive a free Squealer filled with your choice of Ideas Beer, Boganaire, Summer Ale or Foggy Brew for the trip.
Please let me know if you wish to book an off schedule tour and how many people would be travelling.
I dont think it would be hard to get together 9 of us, if its too much trouble, we could always bring some interested friends.
What do you think?

Completely missed this thread. Must check my notifications.
Count me in for the brew (voted in the new thread) and for the tour.

What dates are we thinking?

endisnigh said:
Completely missed this thread. Must check my notifications.
Count me in for the brew (voted in the new thread) and for the tour.

What dates are we thinking?
There's only so much i can do, email, PM, smoke signals.... I hope you got my telegram.
Next time I'm just coming round and poking you with a pointed stick!

I think you are the only one to mention the tour, I am keen to go, and it is a pretty good deal with all that's included (provided the food is good, and not a happy meal)

What is the game plan for Sunday? we just turning up there at 10 and starting/continuing to drink?

Got a reply from Duane, he is cool for us to do a group brew there, may have to be next year if we do our correspondence brew.

Never mind - I remembered (thanks N89). Double brew happening at my place for those interested :)

So I just popped into Oldfield cellars in Gosford to have a chat, and we may have a few interesting opportunities for activities including tastings among other things, a little while off, but I think that works for us ATM.

Garth, the owner, is a good guy and seems interested in the club.

Will keep you all posted.

The oldfield cellars is a good idea.

that place is coming along nicely

joshuahardie said:
The oldfield cellars is a good idea.

that place is coming along nicely
Garth was kind enough to give me a quick tour of the place.... fek its huge. the sale floor is a mere drop in a puddle.

He has grand plans, and I hope (for him, for the coast, and for us) most of it goes ahead

Back