Funny Story

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

big78sam

Frequent poster - My post count is no reflection o
Reaction score
I was at my local Dans on the weekend and there was a guy doing tasting of few beers from the same brewery (I think it was Hawthorn). Thinking he was a rep from the brewer I starting asking a few questions about the beers. He mentioned the English Amber Ale that was for sale but not available for tasting. I explained I was a bit over too much crystal sweetness and asked whether a lot of crystal was used and he looked at me blankly. I then asked what hops were used and he answered "Goldings and Figgins". "Do you mean Fuggles", I asked, "I've never heard of Figgins". "Maybe" he said, but he thought it was Figgins. I had a little chuckle to myself. On getting back to the car I passed on the conversation but before I could finish my wife said "Dont tell me, it's Fuggles, not figgins isnt it." She doesnt even drink beer.

I've really become a beer snob with this brewing stuff, and I've corrupted my wife as well. I'm sure the poor guy was just doing some marketing work part time and wasn't a beer aficionado so I can understand his mistake.

Disclaimer: The beers I tasted were nice FWIW, so this post is no criticism of the brewery.

My missus will hear a phone conversation at CB between Ross and a customer, and he gets off the phone, says "this bloke wanted to...." and my missus will say "doesn't that cause....".

She's preggers and can't drink beer (and won't, good girl, I'll be rewarding her with leffe at the end) and my hobby can vary from mildly irritated to hormone induced 'your stupid brewing'.

The advantage is, a long boil and a late hops addition is something she likes (complains of asthma once the hops go in the boil) when preggers.

My missus will hear a phone conversation at CB between Ross and a customer, and he gets off the phone, says "this bloke wanted to...." and my missus will say "doesn't that cause....".

She's preggers and can't drink beer (and won't, good girl, I'll be rewarding her with leffe at the end) and my hobby can vary from mildly irritated to hormone induced 'your stupid brewing'.

The advantage is, a long boil and a late hops addition is something she likes (complains of asthma once the hops go in the boil) when preggers.

Jezuz, you're a lucky man Goomba!

I don't get the "doesn't that cause.....". All i get is the "your stupid brewing" comments.

Would love it if my wife could enjoy a beer with me. She does however love Caffreys, but i've got more interesting things in my kegs and she won't go near them....bugger.

I've gotten away with a metric shitload of brewing purchases since i started this "hobby". Imagine how much shit i could load up the shed with if she enjoyed the finished product!!

I still get the "your stupid brewing" comments, the "why the hell do you have to steam up the whole house with that crap" and "can you talk about something other than beer" still.

But as I have produced some corker beers, she's mildly interested in the science.

But if I could brew without spending any time doing so, but save money, and not stink out the house and not talk about beer, she'd be happy.

Typical mediterranean woman - wildly variable at times. It has it's advantages though.

My other half rolls the eyes and gives me shit for buying all the stuff, and hogging the kitchen, but happily drinks what I brew...
Yep, she has her cake and eats it too.

Latest posts

Back