Fully Automated Brewing System Design

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bum said:
So you didn't see the numerous posts with tonnes of expensive gear he'd bought and was actually slapping together?
Yeah I saw all the expensive gear he was slapping together. Never saw anything that would even remotely make beer though.

I'm not sure you understood his project - there's always been a lot of that going around though.

He could "make beer" with an esky.

He wanted to make a machine that made beer. Not make beer.

What entertains me the most with this thread is the fact that last week I made a "test" beer in a rice cooker.

bum said:
I'm not sure you understood his project - there's always been a lot of that going around though.

He could "make beer" with an esky.

He wanted to make a machine that made beer. Not make beer.
But he didn't make a machine that made beer did he? He didn't even get anywhere close. He did make a rather smart picture of a kitchen though. :ph34r:

It's quite clear reading the thread that the guy was misguided, even delusional, from the start and refused to listen to reason or accept any help or advice when offered by vastly more experienced and knowledgeable individuals.

Still, it kept me entertained for 30 minutes and had some cracking one-liners. :D

pommiebloke said:
It's quite clear reading the thread that the guy was misguided, even delusional, from the start and refused to listen to reason or accept any help or advice when offered by vastly more experienced and knowledgeable individuals.
Misguided? Yes. Delusional? Possibly. The rest is little a bit unfair. The great majority of the advice he got was from people who were trying to get him to change his motivations, from people who didn't even try to see what he was doing. This thread is basically a bunch of blokes saying "there's easier, cheaper and faster ways to make beer, mate". They may be right but it's pretty clearly irrelevent from the outset. If Bandito made this thread today it would be full of people linking to Nick's ~$30 BIAB thread instead.

This thread is people losing it because one of these kids is doing their own thing. Look at Jonathan's similar(ish) thread - how many years did that thing go without getting wet? (Last I heard he still hadn't used it.) Some of those critising here were lining up to suck the bloke's dick because he was doing it traditional-like.

Bum the difference being, was members could see where Jonathan was going, now don't take me wrong here, some of this gear takes months(if not years) to put together both financially and physically, but staying within the realm of possibility, is something entirely different. If I said I was going to have my brewery run entirely from a home made thermo nuclear reactor; well I'd be laughing at me along side you, if I said it would be solar powered and environmentally neutral some would be sceptical, and wait and see. From what I've read it's simply 'PICS OR IT DIN'T HAPPEN' it has been a while after all, if he eventually gets there, fantastic. But for me it's a long time between drinks. This is not how projects are managed Anywhere.

There's absolutely nothing "unachievable" about what Bandito wanted to do.

Not sure why you think he'd give a shit about reporting his progress here anymore. Did you actually read this thread?

MastersBrewery said:
Bum the difference being, was members could see where Jonathan was going,
I think you need to read my posts again.

After that maybe review your own post. Jonathan's more traditional rig is okay to take forever but Bandito's VASTLY more complex idea should have been done ages ago even though he's got at least two years up his sleeve in comparison?

Look... a tumbleweed
tumbleweed-590x468.jpg

I just read through that all that stuff....WTF!

It went from a grand idea to some plastic tub herms system on kitchen bench, to a biab option and then into a cardboard mockup built on some heavy arsed red valves with the excuse that this was his lifes work and the real idea was about making soap, **** off!

Sure this was possible and the bloke tried while everyone either helped or hindered the process, too bad he missed out on the best thing, making great beer or any beer for that matter.

Unlucky though Bandito, sure would be good to know if you got anywhere with this. B)

Yeah I vaguely remember reading through it one night after a few quiet beverages. If I remember correctly it was a rather amusing comedy.

I can tell you that if I decide to revolutionise something in the brew universe, I'm not posting it here to be mocked by armchair luminaries.

I love that the only thing holding you back from a revolutionary invention is us. That's so Australian. Made my day. And. Dont let us hold ya back mate. Would post a smile icon here to indicate tone but am on my mobile.

Well, shit.

I must have spent at least 4-6hrs reading through... Almost every post.

Somehow I don't think it's been a waste of time because of all the good advice that was slapped about!
I'm just planning an AG setup and I think this serves as a pretty good example of how to avoid falling down the rabbit hole of design. You know, first it was looking into swapping a couple of pipes about while brewing, then I discovered camlocks, then the option of using multiple lines and three-way valves, and STC-1000's, then PIDs, and if that why not a full brew panel, then arduino, then Ras Pi, but then I might as well just get a BrewTroller, or a BCS with touch screens, and then it's worth getting a heap of solanoid valves with multiple pumps and then.....

And then I'll have no idea what I'm doing.

Good advice to just get the basics first; I've wasted so much time looking at "but what if I want to upgrade to this later" with revised design and products, I'd rather have just got on with it haha.
Luckily for me it's only been a couple of weeks! :D

p.s. For the record, I think Bandito is a very... interesting character.
Even though I think this project was pretty stupid, uneconomic and ill-advised, and that Bandito is an asshole (even though he doesn't realise it), I kinda wanted him to have his 'personal victory' or whatever and actually complete the brewery. For some reason I expected to see it built by the time I got to the last post.

..... Or maybe I just wanted to lick his balls.

p.p.s. SWMBO went ballistic after me spending about 4x as much time on beer as on her. Beer is good, but not worth living in the dog house :excl:

Latest posts

Back