Full Aperture Can Conditioning

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

N3MIS15

Reaction score
Hey there,

I was thinking about buying full aperture lids with my next batch of cans. As I prefer to can condition, I was wondering if the full aperture lids can handle the pressure while conditioning. The standard lids tend to bulge a little, but I have not had any failures due to the lid bulge with my first 120ish cans. If anyone who has tried the full aperture lids can chime in I'm all ears.

Cheers.

Bentspoke in Canberra use full aperture lids for all their beers, none of their beers are what would be considered highly carbed, about 8 to 10 psi ish, so definitely on the low side.

I don't know about full aperture lids but with bottles, part of the specification is the pressure rating. If you are bottling or canning a carbonated beverage when you want to order containers the amount of fizz will be part of deciding which containers you choose.
Its often specified in Volumes of CO2, Atmospheres (atm or Bar) or PSI, Champaign bottles will take up to 6 Bar (about 600kPa) (seen some rated higher) normal beer bottles about half of that.
From a quick Google it looks like the standard max for cans is 4.8 Bar (480kPa), if the full aperture were lower rated the supplier should be saying so in big letters and I cant find any warnings from people who sell them, so have to assume they are the same as any other beer can.

As always its good to understand exactly how much fizz you will get in your beer, I'm a big fan of the Fermentation section on Braukaiser, covers the theory and practice well.
Mark

Free tip!
Work in g/L of CO2 it really makes all the maths easier, even those who want the answer in Volumes usually have to do all the calculations in g/L then convert it to Volumes or PSI, Bar or whatever.
Mark

I don't know about full aperture lids but with bottles, part of the specification is the pressure rating. If you are bottling or canning a carbonated beverage when you want to order containers the amount of fizz will be part of deciding which containers you choose.
Its often specified in Volumes of CO2, Atmospheres (atm or Bar) or PSI, Champaign bottles will take up to 6 Bar (about 600kPa) (seen some rated higher) normal beer bottles about half of that.
From a quick Google it looks like the standard max for cans is 4.8 Bar (480kPa), if the full aperture were lower rated the supplier should be saying so in big letters and I cant find any warnings from people who sell them, so have to assume they are the same as any other beer can.

As always its good to understand exactly how much fizz you will get in your beer, I'm a big fan of the Fermentation section on Braukaiser, covers the theory and practice well.
Mark
Cheers mate. I am working to a calculated value, I am targeting 2.5 volumes. The lids I would be looking to purchase are from kegland. They don't seem to offer the pressure rating themselves, but knowing where they source their cans might prove useful.

The pressure rating was not a concern to me until i read this post last night. All About Canning - Cannular Can Seamers and More... There is no technical info on rating though, hence why I am searching for people who may have actually tried it.

Well 2.5 Volumes is going to give you about 370kPa (3.6 Bar) at 30oC so if they are rated like other cans they should be in spec and survive even a fairly hot day.
If that is any help.
Mark

Thanks MHB, seems reasonable. I wont be canning again for at least 2 weeks, but unless anyone has any horror stories in the next week or so I think i will go with full aperture.

Hey guys. I have burned through about half a box now of the 500ml full appeture cans from Kegland. I got to say that l am really impressed so far. I carb from 2-2.5 vols Co2 (in keg), depending on the recipe and then transfer to cans. The cans are usually rock hard at room temp after a day but soften a little once back in the fridge. Had a few seams leak initially but that was due to tuning in the Cannular. The only niggle l have is the ring pull can be a bit soft and few have pulled off without opening the can. Easy to open with a little jab into the lid seam with a knife though. Hope this helps. Cheers!

For what its worth I did end up purchasing full aperture cans and have canned a batch of beer. After 4 weeks I am happy to report they have conditioned without issue.

Cheers.

Just bought a Crankshaft on the drive home, what the hell??? Bent spoke have gone to standard can lids due to a world shortage (according to their website) of full aperture lids wt? It aint the same experience btw, +1 for full apertures on aroma beers.

I only got the standard lid for my cans so I always pour into a glass

Just bought a Crankshaft on the drive home, what the hell??? Bent spoke have gone to standard can lids due to a world shortage (according to their website) of full aperture lids wt? It aint the same experience btw, +1 for full apertures on aroma beers.
That's what Bentspoke are marketing, but it is BS.

The reason for the change is that authorities such as the EPA in NSW don't recognise full aperture cans as suitable for the container deposit scheme as they require discarding of the ringpull. This determination was confirmed in 2019 and will be fully enforced from 2021.

Thanks for the clarification, it's a great shame as the aroma is a massive part of the experience, wont surprise me if sales drop but that probably wont bother them.

Thanks for the clarification, it's a great shame as the aroma is a massive part of the experience, wont surprise me if sales drop but that probably wont bother them.
I like the idea and agree the aroma is much nicer than a standard can - but I can't say I ever drink decent beer straight from a can, barring the odd occasions if I'm hiking in the bush or on the kayak...

Latest posts

Back