Help Support Aussie Homebrewer by donating:

1. We have implemented the ability to gift someone a Supporting Membership now! When you access the Upgrade page there is now a 'Gift' button. Once you click that you can enter a username to gift an account Upgrade to. Great way to help support this forum plus give some kudos to anyone who has helped you.
    Dismiss Notice

Full Aperture Can Conditioning

Discussion in 'General Brewing Techniques' started by N3MIS15, 22/2/20.

1. N3MIS15

Posted 22/2/20
    Hey there,

I was thinking about buying full aperture lids with my next batch of cans. As I prefer to can condition, I was wondering if the full aperture lids can handle the pressure while conditioning. The standard lids tend to bulge a little, but I have not had any failures due to the lid bulge with my first 120ish cans. If anyone who has tried the full aperture lids can chime in I'm all ears.

Cheers.

2. Grmblz

As little as possible
    Posted 22/2/20
    Bentspoke in Canberra use full aperture lids for all their beers, none of their beers are what would be considered highly carbed, about 8 to 10 psi ish, so definitely on the low side.

3. MHB

Posted 22/2/20
    I don't know about full aperture lids but with bottles, part of the specification is the pressure rating. If you are bottling or canning a carbonated beverage when you want to order containers the amount of fizz will be part of deciding which containers you choose.
    Its often specified in Volumes of CO2, Atmospheres (atm or Bar) or PSI, Champaign bottles will take up to 6 Bar (about 600kPa) (seen some rated higher) normal beer bottles about half of that.
    From a quick Google it looks like the standard max for cans is 4.8 Bar (480kPa), if the full aperture were lower rated the supplier should be saying so in big letters and I cant find any warnings from people who sell them, so have to assume they are the same as any other beer can.

As always its good to understand exactly how much fizz you will get in your beer, I'm a big fan of the Fermentation section on Braukaiser, covers the theory and practice well.
    Mark

4. Grmblz

As little as possible
    Posted 22/2/20
    Thanks for that it's just what I needed on a lazy Sunday morning, my head hurts again now :doofus: so I'm going to take two beers and see you tomorrow. Thank heavens I keg 95% of my stuff, 100gms dex, fit spunding valve set to appropriate pressure, done.
    :cheers:

5. MHB

Posted 22/2/20
    Free tip!
    Work in g/L of CO2 it really makes all the maths easier, even those who want the answer in Volumes usually have to do all the calculations in g/L then convert it to Volumes or PSI, Bar or whatever.
    Mark

6. N3MIS15

Posted 23/2/20
    Cheers mate. I am working to a calculated value, I am targeting 2.5 volumes. The lids I would be looking to purchase are from kegland. They don't seem to offer the pressure rating themselves, but knowing where they source their cans might prove useful.

The pressure rating was not a concern to me until i read this post last night. All About Canning - Cannular Can Seamers and More... There is no technical info on rating though, hence why I am searching for people who may have actually tried it.

7. MHB

Posted 23/2/20
    Well 2.5 Volumes is going to give you about 370kPa (3.6 Bar) at 30oC so if they are rated like other cans they should be in spec and survive even a fairly hot day.
    If that is any help.
    Mark

8. N3MIS15

Posted 23/2/20
    Thanks MHB, seems reasonable. I wont be canning again for at least 2 weeks, but unless anyone has any horror stories in the next week or so I think i will go with full aperture.

9. ben lyne

Pro Pro

Posted 23/2/20
    Hey guys. I have burned through about half a box now of the 500ml full appeture cans from Kegland. I got to say that l am really impressed so far. I carb from 2-2.5 vols Co2 (in keg), depending on the recipe and then transfer to cans. The cans are usually rock hard at room temp after a day but soften a little once back in the fridge. Had a few seams leak initially but that was due to tuning in the Cannular. The only niggle l have is the ring pull can be a bit soft and few have pulled off without opening the can. Easy to open with a little jab into the lid seam with a knife though. Hope this helps. Cheers!

Draft saved Draft deleted