Full (almost) moon

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blind Dog

Beer
Reaction score
Riding the metro home, near enough full moon hanging low in the sky. Beautiful golden disk against a darkening sky. Beautiful. Just beautiful.

When I lived in the Old Dart in Cardiff, Wales, in the 1970s, my best mate Greg was a nurse (of course in those days he had to be called a male nurse) at the Whitchurch Mental Hospital (not PC to refer to it as such nowadays).

When it was full moon he knew he had to abstain from Brains SA for a couple of days as he could be called in urgently - they had huge problems every four weeks and needed heaps of extra staff.

A day before & two-days after full-moon are the best time for anglers, apparently. Stock markets also go nuts at the same time.

Personally, I can't sleep properly around full-moon. 'Must be a loony.... :blink:

I used to manage the complaints department of a govt department. Our clients were pretty angry at the best of times. But we knew that on a full moon we could expect even more agro than usual.

When the moon was setting at around 4am this morning there was enough moisture in the air to produce a spectacular moonbow in Sydney.

Headed bush tomorrow. 1100m at the property and hopefully a clear night. Good chance to break out the tripod an try for some artsy astronomical images. If I dont freeze first. Or trip over the tripod.

Cant get a good nights sleep either from virtually waxing to waning Gibbous if the sky is clear. I blame our fish ancestors.

About an hour ago a dog was howling, I mean really howling, a street away.
I've been here six months and never heard that dog before.

Clear sky, looks like full moon, clear area then prefect cloudy ring some distance away. Looks good but photo does no justice. What causes this ring?

Dave70 said:
Headed bush tomorrow. 1100m at the property and hopefully a clear night. Good chance to break out the tripod an try for some artsy astronomical images. If I dont freeze first. Or trip over the tripod.

Cant get a good nights sleep either from virtually waxing to waning Gibbous if the sky is clear. I blame our fish ancestors.
Moon set would be the go just before first light.

too noisy for any astrophotography as the full moon is like a flood light drowning out the stars.

Dozer71 said:
Clear sky, looks like full moon, clear area then prefect cloudy ring some distance away. Looks good but photo does no justice. What causes this ring?

Moisture-laden clouds in the atmosphere

Full moon - new moon. A lot of cops will tell you that the full moon is for the crazies, but the new moon is for violence.

That said, new moon is as amazing as full moon...the stars, oh, the stars. One night I was driving through the deserts of Oregon, USA on the new moon. The sky was paved with lights. Freezing cold, dark sky lit by night. That was one of the best joints I've ever had.

Dave70 said:

I used to wax Wayne's gibbous but now he prefers keg lube.

Capture.JPG

When you get a really good look at the southern skies, it is amazing. If you can brave the cold (it gets to -30C or colder), then the Chilean altiplano is an amazing place. Looking at the sky from Atacama desert, just with the naked eye, was an amazing treat, but I could not let the chance to visit an observatory go by. It was definitely worth the 4 hour trip each way! I can see how people can get hooked on astronomy, even if it is just for the aesthetic appeal.

Mardoo said:
That said, new moon is as amazing as full moon...the stars, oh, the stars. One night I was driving through the deserts of Oregon, USA on the new moon. The sky was paved with lights. Freezing cold, dark sky lit by night. That was one of the best joints I've ever had.
On a dark desert highway
Cool wind in my hair
Warm smell of <snip>
Rising up through the air

ive spent my entire working career at sea (professional tuna/sword fisher its all about the moon phase), and now as a merchant seamen, when you are 5000 miles from anywhere at sea, on a new moon, there is no other sight like it.... the amount of shooting stars, the constellations, jupiters moons (through large binoculars)...always very humbling to watch.

not many people realise that we only ever see the one side of the moon also...

Dave70 said:

You can blame who you want, but I blame you for all the weird looks I've been getting all week riding to and from work reading, and rereading 'A Universe from Nothing'. But big, big thanks. Haven't stopped smiling all week. F'ing awesome book

Back