Frustrated with end results

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There's always some jerk who can't wait to put someone down.
I wonder if e ran a contest how many folks would have heard of either.
Yes maybe just asking the question could have been the beginning of further learning.
Oh yes another point: I will guarantee fewer use refractometers than the number that do.

I'm about to do my first big dry hop on an all inn brewing fresh wort kit, probably just one of their basic pales.

Thanks for the recommendations on the cryo hops I'll look into these, I've enjoyed commercial beers that use these.

I'm about to do my first big dry hop on an all inn brewing fresh wort kit, probably just one of their basic pales.

Thanks for the recommendations on the cryo hops I'll look into these, I've enjoyed commercial beers that use these.
Good luck! It's recommend to mix cryo with regular hops for best results.
I would normally do 50g cryo + 150g regular hops, spread over 2 dry hops (but lately have been toying with going even higher)

There's always some jerk who can't wait to put someone down.
I wonder if e ran a contest how many folks would have heard of either.
Yes maybe just asking the question could have been the beginning of further learning.
Oh yes another point: I will guarantee fewer use refractometers than the number that do.

Cryo hops are a fairly new product where hops are frozen, I believe using liquid nitrogen, to separate the volatiles that we want for brewing, alpha acids etc, from the vegetable matter. This results in a much higher aa% than the same strain of hops in normal pellets. It can be helpful for late boil or whirlpool additions, or dry hops which are hops added to the fermenter (normally after active fermentation is complete).

In terms of hop aroma most of this will come from dry hops with a contribution from whirlpool additions (this is dependent on time, temperature and whether or not you chill. This is assuming a partial boil, if you are using straight kits into a fermenter then upping the hops added to the fermenter should help to increase aroma.

Hope this helps

Back