Fruity Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lou

Reaction score
my beer (pale ale) an ale brewed with safale s 04 brewed in a temp controled fridge at 19C is very fruity - smells like a mango orchard in there, anyway will this reduce with aging or is something else wrong. :(

lou did you add any hops to the brew, some strains can be quite fruity in aroma? At 19C I can't sww the yeast producing fruity flavours.

Taste it. If you've been fermenting at 19C it shouldn't be too fruity.

If excess esters are produced some of them will convert to alcohol over time. Either way, if you don't like fruitiness you should be using a more neutral yeast like Wyeast 1056 or Nottingham.

Lou,

I have noticed this too with Safale s-04, some homebrewers (my self included) enjoy this in a pale ale......eg LCPA and even Coopers Sparkling Ale has these tones of fruit.

Cheers
JSB

thanks guys

i don't have a problem with fruityness per se but if its overpowering i thought this might be a bit of a fault - i 've had problems with diacetyl and phenol from fermenting too hot - but now with the fridge that seems sorted out.

i'll let it age for a month or two and it should be good. the flavours are starting to blend and i'll bttle it after a good secondary ferment soon

Back