Fruit Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Capt,

No, I'm not getting what you are saying. Also no need to be rude either. Let me clarify again for you.

Yes, I ferment with a lid and an airlock. If that is your question, then ask that question in plain English.

If the juice is simply pressed out of the fruit and then packaged, how could it have fermented out? It's 100% pure unprocessed juice. What I'm told from the juice supplier/importer is that in the packaging process all air/oxygen is removed but the Tetra pack product is not necessarily pasteurised. Hence my want to add the juice at flameout to pasteurise it to kill unwanted bacteria/yeast etc. The last thing I'd want is wild yeast getting in.

The straining is to ensure there are no foreign bodies etc. loose in the liquid. I have a mate who has worked in the food processing industry for many years and is always telling me about the weird things that are found in packaged food containers.

You may feel my method a little cautious - but I'd rather take these extra steps to ensure no infection and a waste of money. Yes I know some brewers say things like "just chuck in the juice/zest 3 days before bottling unpasteurised" etc. - and good luck to these folks. But I'd rather take a few more steps to ensure a better brew.

Finally, my methods in brewing with fruit have primarily been derived from the various readings of experienced commercial brewers who use fruit in brewing. If you chose not to follow these methods, then good luck to you - that's your choice.

Regards,
Pete

I wasn't trying to be rude, i was saying you are cautious. No need to go on and write a egocentric butthurt monologue.

You say you've done your research and although you can't understand my English, so have I. Sorry for having conflicting ideas.

Yes I'm cautious. I have not had an infection ever in the 5+ years of brewing and I want to keep it that way.

There you go again being a rude goose. Keep that up and you won't last here too long. Mod's will block your access.

Finally brewed the Blood Orange Pale Ale yesterday.

Used 3kg Maris Otter, 2kg Vienna and 500grams CaraPils, and 28grams of Magnum at 30mins.

Ended up doing a 90min boil (not 75mins) and also throwing 4 litres of frozen blood orange juice (not 3Litres) into the brew at flameout.

All went well and the brew looks nice and orangey and has a wonderful aroma. Pics from yesterday attached (1) straining wort into pot with 4 x 1L frozen blood orange blocks, (2) fermenter in the brew fridge - great orange colour.

Cheers,
Pete

Attachments

• blood-orange-brew.pdf
    275.4 KB · Views: 84
Finally brewed the Blood Orange Pale Ale yesterday.

Used 3kg Maris Otter, 2kg Vienna and 500grams CaraPils, and 28grams of Magnum at 30mins.

Ended up doing a 90min boil (not 75mins) and also throwing 4 litres of frozen blood orange juice (not 3Litres) into the brew at flameout.

All went well and the brew looks nice and orangey and has a wonderful aroma. Pics from yesterday attached (1) straining wort into pot with 4 x 1L frozen blood orange blocks, (2) fermenter in the brew fridge - great orange colour.

Cheers,
Pete

I guess with all that blood orange juice and fruit sugars, the brew has been bubbling away for a few days now and doesn't show any signs of slowing. When I opened the brew fridge late yesterday all I could smell was oranges :) So all going great.

If only we have time travel technology, as I can't wait to take my first slug of this brew.

I had a Tangelo Gose from Holgate a couple of times recently.

Awesome beer. Not always (Kreik Lambics aside) a massive fan of fruit beers but this one rocked my socks off.

I've also had the Holgate Tangelo Gose, which was OK. The blood orange pale ale is not like lambics/sours etc., as it does not use funky Belgium farmhouse/sour yeast. I've used West Coast Ale yeast. It will be more like a lighter Fanta flavoured type beer. Time will tell :)

Next brew will be a Grapefruit IPA. Plan on using a big chunk of Maris Otter again and some small amounts of CaraPils & Pale Crystal (Bairds). Then a flameout addition of 150g of honey and 3litres of fresh grapefruit juice. Will use some Columbus, Mandarina Barvaria and Fortnight hops for bitterness and some late boil flavour/aroma. Yeast this time will be MJ's New World Strong Ale (3 packets). Specs should be something like: 6.3%, 61 IBU.

Blood Orange Ale turned out OK. Probably didn't need the whole 4litres of juice - though it is tasting like Fanta. Could have only gone 2litres max of the juice. But good to know for future brews. It's damn refreshing though and has a great colour. Pic attached.

Next brew will be a pale ale using 4.5kg maris otter and 1kg of UK wheat and some fruity hops (Galaxy, Fortnight, Mandarina Bavaria & Cascade). Will come back to the grapefruit IPA after this.

Cheers,

Pete

Attachments

• blood-orange-ale-aug-2017.pdf
    226 KB · Views: 57
Love to know how the grapefruit turns out when you make, think it could add some interesting flavour.

Theres quite a few grapefruit infused beers these days. I love the Brew Dog Elvis Juice. Also Fortitude Brewing (QLD) has produced a grapefruit IPA, which is excellent as well.

Latest posts

Back