Fruit Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry Ross, I must have missed that bit buried somewhere.

From personal experience, if you want banana flavour then whisper sweet nothings to Cooper's yeast. Not sure exactly what you have to say though...

Kai said:
From personal experience, if you want banana flavour then whisper sweet nothings to Cooper's yeast. Not sure exactly what you have to say though...
[post="86485"][/post]​

About 26 degrees

So how's the bananamber turning out, Ross?

read my mind Kai,
was just sitting down to fond this thread to give it a bump.

Kai said:
So how's the bananamber turning out, Ross?
[post="88564"][/post]​

Kai,

Defrosted the bananas last night - putting apprx 12L on 1.6kg of bananas today...

so guess will know in a week or 2 - Better be good, the beer it's going on tastes magic...

Bananas had half dissolved into a golden liquid when I took them out the fridge today - The beer which had finished fermenting, fired back up within just a few minutes of adding them, so at least no infections while waiting for it to fire up.... :D

hey there ross
so you are making a banana amber umm > sounds like a beer that i make and hve made for a few years now . mine is based on the Wells formula .It is called a Banana Bread ale .its bananery and is amber in colour .

i do it using extrcts and now partials want to tell me your ideas as i wanted to use real banana,s rather than an extract .

thanks mate delboy :D

Darren said:
Does it taste like banana Ross?
[post="88652"][/post]​

i'll tell you in 7 to 10 days time, once I've tasted it - assuming all goes well... :)

delboy said:
hey there ross
so you are making a banana amber umm > sounds like a beer that i make and hve made for a few years now . mine is based on the Wells formula .It is called a Banana Bread ale .its bananery and is amber in colour .

i do it using extrcts and now partials want to tell me your ideas as i wanted to use real banana,s rather than an extract .

thanks mate delboy :D
[post="88648"][/post]​

Delboy,

What's your recipe for Banana Bread beer? Is it fairly close to the Charles Wells version?

I'll let you know if the real bananas work out all right - hard to get real tasty ones, this time of year...

Just stumbled across this thread which is weird, i knocked up a pale ale on saturday and have purchased 2kg of blueberries for the secondary fermenter. My first real experimental batch, looking forward to the results :beer:

cheerio
dazzling

peas & korn try reading the post befor you type one of your pointless responses. :)

Just stumbled across this thread which is weird, i knocked up a pale ale on saturday

Thank you fnqbunyip...

Ok guys/gals,

I'm totally new to fruit beers, so need a little advice:

How do I know when fermentation is complete?

The mushed bananas & yeast have formed a thick krausen, which I'm guessing is going to make it hard to pick when fermentation is finished - My fermenters haven't been airtight in years, so bubbling airlock is out. & final gravity is constant already as it's fruit I've added...

cheers...

i've never added in secondary, only the last 5 min of boil
secondary sounds like you'll get a better aroma but i don't like to add anything that hasn't had a swim in boiling water 1st, other than yeast.

not sure how you would go on the fg ross with a large amount of banana sugers in the ferment.i would let it sit for awhile and keep a close watch on the fg then taste test and finally keg.maybe put a few down into the pet style bottles so as if its still fermenting you wont have glass going everywhere if it blows.this may give you some reference if the pet bottles survive for next time if it turns out any good.

cheers
d

big d said:
not sure how you would go on the fg ross with a large amount of banana sugers in the ferment.i would let it sit for awhile and keep a close watch on the fg then taste test and finally keg.maybe put a few down into the pet style bottles so as if its still fermenting you wont have glass going everywhere if it blows.this may give you some reference if the pet bottles survive for next time if it turns out any good.

cheers
d
[post="88804"][/post]​

Big D - I'm kegging it, not bottling - I might just work off 7 days - not sure then whether to rack & CC or CC with the fruit still in there?

Any tips from you fruit beer guru's, much appreciated...

Back