Fruit Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ubermensch

Reaction score
G'day,

I'm hoping to brew a fruity crisp summer beer with light body and a mix of sweet and tartness. Inspiration comes from my local "Rich's Summer Frenzy".

After some research and discussion with the local home brew guy, I've come up with the following:

1.7kg Coopers Wheat Beer
1.5kg Briess Bavarian Wheat DME
White Labs WLP380 Hefeweizen IV Ale Yeast
4kg Frozen Mixed Berries - Strawberries (30%), Blackberries (30%), Raspberries (20%), Blueberries (20%)

Method:
- Planning to add 2kg of thawed berries before pitching @ 21-24C (70-75F).

- After primary fermentation @ 21-24C (70-75F), rack to secondary on top of another 2kg of thawed berries.

- Keep in secondary @ 21-24C (70-75F) until FG is reached.

- Prime and bottle.

Planning to brew this tonight or some time tomorrow. I'd appreciate your thoughts and feedback.

Cheers!

G'day,

I'm hoping to brew a fruity crisp summer beer with light body and a mix of sweet and tartness. Inspiration comes from my local "Rich's Summer Frenzy".

After some research and discussion with the local home brew guy, I've come up with the following:

1.7kg Coopers Wheat Beer
1.5kg Briess Bavarian Wheat DME
White Labs WLP380 Hefeweizen IV Ale Yeast
4kg Frozen Mixed Berries - Strawberries (30%), Blackberries (30%), Raspberries (20%), Blueberries (20%)

Method:
- Planning to add 2kg of thawed berries before pitching @ 21-24C (70-75F).

- After primary fermentation @ 21-24C (70-75F), rack to secondary on top of another 2kg of thawed berries.

- Keep in secondary @ 21-24C (70-75F) until FG is reached.

- Prime and bottle.

Planning to brew this tonight or some time tomorrow. I'd appreciate your thoughts and feedback.

Cheers!

I just did a raspberry hefe and only added 600gms to secondary for a week and that was plenty. Might even use a little less next time. IMHO I reckon you should drop the primary addition at least. There's a view that they won't add anything at that stage anyway.

The 'rule' with beers that have "non beer" ingredients in them is that the base beer should always be discernable.

U can search fruit beer and get a tonne of info.

You might need.some hops. Froz fruit can be full of water but even still u need lots of fruit for beer.

The 'rule' with beers that have "non beer" ingredients in them is that the base beer should always be discernable.

Sounds like a reasonable rule, how much fruit would you recommend? I've read a number of threads which suggest 1 lb / gallon.

Back