Quantcast

Fruit Beer

Aussie Home Brewer

Help Support Aussie Home Brewer:

ubermensch

Reaction score
G'day,

I'm hoping to brew a fruity crisp summer beer with light body and a mix of sweet and tartness. Inspiration comes from my local "Rich's Summer Frenzy".

After some research and discussion with the local home brew guy, I've come up with the following:

1.7kg Coopers Wheat Beer
1.5kg Briess Bavarian Wheat DME
White Labs WLP380 Hefeweizen IV Ale Yeast
4kg Frozen Mixed Berries - Strawberries (30%), Blackberries (30%), Raspberries (20%), Blueberries (20%)

Method:
- Planning to add 2kg of thawed berries before pitching @ 21-24C (70-75F).

- After primary fermentation @ 21-24C (70-75F), rack to secondary on top of another 2kg of thawed berries.

- Keep in secondary @ 21-24C (70-75F) until FG is reached.

- Prime and bottle.

Planning to brew this tonight or some time tomorrow. I'd appreciate your thoughts and feedback.

Cheers!

Rowy

Drinker of Kegs, Slayer of Fish & Ruiner of Good F
Reaction score
G'day,

I'm hoping to brew a fruity crisp summer beer with light body and a mix of sweet and tartness. Inspiration comes from my local "Rich's Summer Frenzy".

After some research and discussion with the local home brew guy, I've come up with the following:

1.7kg Coopers Wheat Beer
1.5kg Briess Bavarian Wheat DME
White Labs WLP380 Hefeweizen IV Ale Yeast
4kg Frozen Mixed Berries - Strawberries (30%), Blackberries (30%), Raspberries (20%), Blueberries (20%)

Method:
- Planning to add 2kg of thawed berries before pitching @ 21-24C (70-75F).

- After primary fermentation @ 21-24C (70-75F), rack to secondary on top of another 2kg of thawed berries.

- Keep in secondary @ 21-24C (70-75F) until FG is reached.

- Prime and bottle.

Planning to brew this tonight or some time tomorrow. I'd appreciate your thoughts and feedback.

Cheers!
I just did a raspberry hefe and only added 600gms to secondary for a week and that was plenty. Might even use a little less next time. IMHO I reckon you should drop the primary addition at least. There's a view that they won't add anything at that stage anyway.

Nick JD

Blah Blah Blah
Reaction score
The 'rule' with beers that have "non beer" ingredients in them is that the base beer should always be discernable.

brettprevans

HB so good, it will raise the dead
Reaction score
U can search fruit beer and get a tonne of info.

You might need.some hops. Froz fruit can be full of water but even still u need lots of fruit for beer.

ubermensch

Reaction score
The 'rule' with beers that have "non beer" ingredients in them is that the base beer should always be discernable.
Sounds like a reasonable rule, how much fruit would you recommend? I've read a number of threads which suggest 1 lb / gallon.

Nick JD

Blah Blah Blah
Reaction score
Sounds like a reasonable rule, how much fruit would you recommend? I've read a number of threads which suggest 1 lb / gallon.
Depends on the beer style and the fruit.

Latest posts