Fruit Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Renzo

Reaction score
G'day,

I had an american wheat beer going in primary for about 4 days using notty (OG 1.045 got down to 1.010) and added some peach juice (from the juicer) on the 4th day which was about 10% of the total volume of the beer in the fermenter. I forgot to measure the gravity after adding the fruit. The beer is now at 1.012. Is there anyway of working back to measure the alc content? Can I use my refractometer to measure the % of sugar in the fruit and then divide or multiply by the actual volume of the fruit juice in the fermenter i.e. 10%?

Cheers

Using a refractometer and a hydrometer, one can, through a series of calculations, determine the OG of the beer and from that arrive at the %ABV.
The formulas could be googled or, much simpler, use the tool that comes with Beersmith, it's free to download a 21 day trial.

Using a refractometer and a hydrometer, one can, through a series of calculations, determine the OG of the beer and from that arrive at the %ABV.
The formulas could be googled or, much simpler, use the tool that comes with Beersmith, it's free to download a 21 day trial.

I've got beersmith, have done for 5 years. What I'm asking to arrive at the final gravity number is, is it simply a matter of adding the 10% volume of fruit juice gravity to the already final OG of the beer to understand the new OG. i.e beer was at 1.010 from a total of 1.045, then say 2litres of 1.38 fruit juice added which really means the OG is 1.049 instead of 1.045 for example. How do I allow adding of fruit to change the gravity when it's added at the end of primary after fermentastion has taken place and then the fruit kickstarts fermentation again.

How do I allow adding of fruit to change the gravity when it's added at the end of primary after fermentastion has taken place and then the fruit kickstarts fermentation again.
I would've thought that, in terms of abv, it wouldn't matter when you added the fruit juice.

Couldn't you just work out what the OG would've been if you'd added the juice at the start? Then calculate abv using this number and the FG of 1.012.

I think I just found out how to do this as NewtownClown suggested. In beersmith use the dilution too and "dilute with wort". So 22litres almost fermented beer OG was 1.045 I added 2 litres of Juice at 1.036 which gives me a 1.044 SG.

Back