Frozen starter!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Camo1234

Reaction score
Made a 1.5ltr starter from a 1272 smack pack and put it in the fridge to drop the yeast and got busy for a few days..... Looked at the starter today and it's frozen solid!!!

Isn't salvageable or best to just get another smack pack?

Had the same thing happen to me.

From what I read it wasn't worth it. Ditch it and make another one.

You could faff about trying to recover 1 or 2 cells if you are lucky and grow it from there but just not worth it imo for a matter of about $10 and piece of mind.

Another smack pack would be the go.

Thaw it out & pour off as much wort as practicable ASAP. Add another 1.5 litres of wort or DME when at room temp & see if the yeast takes off. You never know your luck.
Your problem is another reminder of the benefits obtained from splitting the original smack pack. :)

Ive just done the same with yeast I collected from a brew and rinsed with water. Put it in the brew fridge and this morning it was almost frozen. Not frozen solid but almost.

As it wasn't completly frozen solid does it have a chance? What temperature can yeast survive down too?

In theory apparently it's stuffed, but then I've heard from people who have frozen smack packs and they fired ok-ish.

I'd at least do what TP suggested, thaw it, add some wort and see if and how much it fires. Not much to loose other than a bit of wort and time, and you're taking one for the team!

Back