Frozen Kegs

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scooza

Reaction score
hi all, been away over xmas and returned home to find 2 full kegs and 1 half keg semi frozen.
will they be alright?
should i pull them out to defrost?

any help appreciated and happy new year.

scooza.

hi all, been away over xmas and returned home to find 2 full kegs and 1 half keg semi frozen.
will they be alright?
should i pull them out to defrost?

any help appreciated and happy new year.

scooza.

Just let them defrost scooza, they'll be OK.

they will be fine. the only thing is that when they defrost it may be worth giving them a quick roll around to make sure the beer is not stratified in the keg.

thanks guys. other thing will i need to regas?

scooza

I would say you shouldn't need to regas as none has escaped. But taste test will be the judge
Chris

I would say you shouldn't need to regas as none has escaped. But taste test will be the judge
Chris

I think freeze/thaw can cause lyses of yeast cells (if there was any) releasing some pretty unpleasant flavour into the beer -- but I agree taste should tell.

Would be interesting to know the result for future if you would kindly let us know.
Cheers Chris

I think freeze/thaw can cause lyses of yeast cells (if there was any) releasing some pretty unpleasant flavour into the beer -- but I agree taste should tell.

Autolysis is yeast eating yeast.. if completely frozen, it's likely that all the yeast are dead and nothing is eating anything.. decomposition may be another thing but I would think that if consumed promptly then there would be little effect. Happy to be corrected if this is off the mark.

Yob

I froze either my first or second keg of beer when I bumped the dial in the fridge, thawed it and tasted great, finished it in 2 weeks, got better over the 2 weeks, think I could ever replicate that beer again? No chance haha

Autolysis is yeast eating yeast.. if completely frozen, it's likely that all the yeast are dead and nothing is eating anything.. decomposition may be another thing but I would think that if consumed promptly then there would be little effect. Happy to be corrected if this is off the mark.

Yob

Lysis is the bursting of a cell wall, if this does cause off flavours I have no idea. It is different to autolysis as you've pointed out. The I suppose the cell wall could burst on either a dead or living cell from freezing (water crystals forming or osmotic pressure changes).

Lysis is the bursting of a cell wall, if this does cause off flavours I have no idea. It is different to autolysis as you've pointed out. The I suppose the cell wall could burst on either a dead or living cell from freezing (water crystals forming or osmotic pressure changes).

It would depend entirely on how much yeast is in there.

thanks to everyone for the replies. thawed the kegs out and just put back on gas. tried one last night and by my taste no off flavours. happy new year to all.

scooza

Latest posts

Back