Frozen Keg

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benken25

Reaction score
I have beer using a chest freezer with an stc1000 for the last 3months for my beer and last weekend i decided i would build a collar for it so i removed my 1 full keg chocolate porter and and half full ipa to the fridge in the shed that i used to use and worked fine up until the day i switched it off went to pour a this after noon and both kegs are frozen solid because im guessing the the thermostat has shit itself :eek:
what should i do? is the beer ruined or will it be ok to defrost and recarb im guessing the pressure relife valves vented the gass because the kegs didnt rupture. i dont really want to tip 30l of beer out :(

Make sure it fully defrosts before drinking it. Otherswise you will wind up with very strong flavoured beer at first and then when it defrosts, very watery beer afterwards.

**** man didn't you do a search??? It's all there, I mean how lazy are you? :lol: Just kidding! I just thawed out 50L of boh Pils and she tastes all good. Have fun :icon_cheers:

I'm sure we've all forgotten about a couple of bottles of beers left in the freezer at some point to crash chill, and as long they haven't exploded, taken them out to thaw then re-chill and drink.

Not wanting to pick on the OP (or others who have asked the same question) but why would people think this wouldn't work on a keg scale? Just curious to know if there's some sort of scientific theory behind freezing and thawing large quantities vs small quantities...

:icon_cheers: thanks for the replys everyone i dont think i have ever frozen a bottle of home brew but i can remember freezing a few cans of xxxx bitter once (pre homebrew days ) and they didnt taste the same defrosted. the kegs are defrosted now and am regassing them now they tasted fine flat we will see how it goes

I have just managed to do a very similar thing but I have actually partilly frozen my fermenter while crash chilling!!!
Thawingit all now and hope to be getting it into bottles tonight, hoping for the best :)

I have just managed to do a very similar thing but I have actually partilly frozen my fermenter while crash chilling!!!
Thawingit all now and hope to be getting it into bottles tonight, hoping for the best :)

I hope yours works out aswell mate i had 1 pint of my chocolate porter it is a boody good drop when i found i frozen i was not real happy im pleased it still tastes just as good as befor

I hope yours works out aswell mate i had 1 pint of my chocolate porter it is a boody good drop when i found i frozen i was not real happy im pleased it still tastes just as good as befor

What are the odds? Mines a Choc porter as well!

Don't liste to them mate.
Your kegs will probably catch fire and explode!
Send them to me for safe disposal. :)

Don't liste to them mate.
Your kegs will probably catch fire and explode!
Send them to me for safe disposal. :)

hahaha if you had of been abit quicker you might have been lucky :lol:

Latest posts

Back