Frozen Keg Beer Will It Gas Up

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fergi

Reaction score
a mate of mine had a problem with his keg fridge, the thermostat packed up and froze his kegs.

after defrosting the kegs he is finding that the two kegs will not take up any gas, this has been 3 weeks now and not a bubble of gas, completely flat beer.

the kegs are full, the gas tank is full and the kegs are on 110 kp.
we can burp both kegs and we can hear new gas rushing in,there are no leaks.

question is will freezing a keg of beer stop it from taking up gas after it has returned to liquid.

cant think of any other reason as to why after 3 weeks the kegs wont gas.
fergi

Freezing the beer and then unfreezing it won't stop them from taking up gas. Is he sure they are thawed?

Edit- maybe his kegs have a small leak somewhere. Take the keg off the gas and then leave them for a fgew days. When you vent the keg gas should come out if they hold pressure. If the seal is leaking by some KY and lube them up good. This always makes my kegs seal

Freezing the beer and then unfreezing it won't stop them from taking up gas. Is he sure they are thawed?

Edit- maybe his kegs have a small leak somewhere. Take the keg off the gas and then leave them for a fgew days. When you vent the keg gas should come out if they hold pressure. If the seal is leaking by some KY and lube them up good. This always makes my kegs seal
[/quote

hi ekul.
yes the kegs are completly defrosted, i have checked them for leaks with soapy water and brush, have done this a couple of times.

i would have thought even if they had leaks then after 3 weeks i would have thought that it woulsd still take up gas,

not a drop ,after initial pour where there are bubbles we wait a minute and the glass has not even a tiny bubble, very frustrating but there will eventually be a soloution. cheers fergi

Try force carbing cause there is no reason they shouldnt recarb after freezing[froze a couple of mine once,left them out at ambient for a couple of days burped then chilled to 2* forced carbed and they were fine]

Back