Frozen Font

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

STEVENALI

Reaction score
:beer: I have had my font sitting on very cold dripping wet for ages I spoke to a Fridgo the other day and he told me to move the sensor probe to the centre of the fridge and two hours later the font was iced all over,so far the fridge contents and the beer in the lines has not frozen(two days)hears hopeing.

FROZEN_FONT_EMAIL.jpg

what liquid are you using in the flooding lines...

and what temp is the fridge set to.

Are you flooding your font from a normal fridge/freezer? You have a great set up there-any other photos?
Cheers 15BL :beer:

:party: I have Glycol in a thirty litre tank in the freezer with a fish pond pump
and the fridge temp is set at four,when I am just on my own I turn it down to
2 and back up when I am pouring off more ale.the fridge is just a little Westinghouse,I am hoping for a bigger fridge with a separate freezer control
but thats a few weeks away.
the picky is my set up but in an older fridge.

GLYCOL_TANK.jpg

What is the BEST insulation for flooded font pipes? My freezer is about 2.5metres away from the font in a tin shed and i am trying to find the BEST insulation to put over 12mm plastic tubing, it can get to 40 degrees in summer.
Cheers 15BL :beer:

Use that black foam insulation made for aircond. pipes etc.
It's made in lots of diameters and avaliable at Bunnings,Clark Rubber etc.
I use it on my HERMS system,it's cheap enough too.

Batz

The black foam is what I used and it works well bound with tape :) Cheap from Clark rubber.

Bar_5.jpg

:( Hi I am very sad to report that after a week of having a perfect frozen font the gas in my beer has some ice particles in it which gives the beer a sad flat look. when it warms a little the beer heads up again but it's not really good.My next experiment will be to have the glycol bath in one fridge freezer and the kegs in another or if I can find one I would like to try an older kelvinator with the separate
fridge freezer control.if anyone out there has had any joy with freeing a font
please let me know as the hole idea has become an obsession of mine.
I know the best way to pour a beer is direct pull straight out of the fridge but I can't help myself I must have the Frozen font.Cheers Guys
Rushy from Bundy
oh I wrap my lines in foil cut from a roll of roofing insulation just put the roll in the vice and cut a roll to size.first wrap is over the lines silver side in then I put the black rubber over this and then do a second wrap of foil silver side out this is then wrapped in duct tape,my idea is that the first wrap keeps the cold in and the next wrap keeps the heat out

STEVENALI said:
if anyone out there has had any joy with freeing a font
please let me know as the hole idea has become an obsession of mine.
I know the best way to pour a beer is direct pull straight out of the fridge but I can't help myself I must have the Frozen font.Cheers Guys

[post="126090"][/post]​

I haven't frozen my font yet (but it's on the cards). I have a proper glycol unit & the installers told me to set at -4c for a frozen font without freezing the beer. Hope this helps.

Cheers Ross

Latest posts

Back