Frozen Beer In The Keg

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

l7edwards

Reaction score
Hi All,

After buying a kegging set up on monday i finally kegged my first batch! However after putting it in the fridge overnight, i checked it this morning and the beer is well and truly frozen! So after an inspection i purged with co2, released any residual pressure, and left the keg a warm spot to thaw out the beer. Just wondering if any damage may be done to the beer or kegging equipment?

Hope not, Cheers!

Hi All,

After buying a kegging set up on monday i finally kegged my first batch! However after putting it in the fridge overnight, i checked it this morning and the beer is well and truly frozen! So after an inspection i purged with co2, released any residual pressure, and left the keg a warm spot to thaw out the beer. Just wondering if any damage may be done to the beer or kegging equipment?

Hope not, Cheers!
Was it a Bock? ;)

Eisbeer! Eisbeer! Eisbeer! :D

No damage will be done. Just let it thaw out.

Give it a stir with a long spoon mate, has this happen to me and the last 5-6 steins were really watery.

Have you made sure to change the temp on the fridge so it's above freezing point of beer?

thanks for all replies, have duly changed the temp on the fridge and am waiting for it to defrost. Will definately give it a stir later on

thanks for all replies, have duly changed the temp on the fridge and am waiting for it to defrost. Will definately give it a stir later on

Let us know how it turns out. I've been thinking about freezing some in jerry cans on purpose to put away in the deep freeze until summer.

:icon_offtopic: What is the freezing temp of beer?

When I made my eisbock, 24 hours in a freezer @ about -20C was enough to freeze about 1/3rd of the volume. The base doppelbock was ~10% ABV.

:icon_offtopic: What is the freezing temp of beer?
The inlet on my DE filter will freeze up if the beer in the tank is close to -3C and ambient temp is not much more than that. Done it a couple of tmes this winter. Never had any problems at -2C.

Cheers, Andrew.

Congratulations ... You just made your first "Ice Beer"

Perhaps a new name is in order for your brew? "Eddies Ice" ?

I just did this a couple of weeks ago with my first kegged beer... bumped the thermostat with the keg and instead of a nice 4 degrees it was -2 the next day and i had made beer icecream haha thawed it and it tastes great!

i wonder if you freeze something solid in a keg will it cause any damadge to the keg?

Latest posts

Back