Frozen Beer In Kegs, Saveable?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kman

Reaction score
ok, so i was trying out the new thermostat i just got. and i wired him up, set him to nearly the lowest temp (lowest is supposed to be 0, but it has no knob.)

So anyway i go out for the arvo, go see a move tonight, go check it, and everything is frozen. bloody outraged, dont have a thermometer either, so i cant check the temps. but i feels like it well beloe zero. is there any trick you using the temp probe? i just drilled a hole through and put in through and folded it over a bit so it wouldnt fall out. Is that the right way to do it?

Is my 2 kegs of beer saveable?

any help would be great

cheers

I have frozen beer, leave it out until it thaws and then refridgerate @ > 0degC and it should fine. :p

i hope so, i found out it was frozen when i tryed to give it some gas, and it wouldnt have a bar of it.

never frozen a keg yet touch wood/plastic(keyboard) but have frozen cc cubes and beer lines and all when defrosted/frozen came up a treat.not something i try and achieve too often but. <_<

cheers
big d

Hi Kman,
The beer will be fine i have done it and as plenty of others have, the only anoying thing is you can't drink it till its thawed out. :p As for he probe i'd just set the temp higher and go from there.

Jayse

Kman,

Done the same thing myself. It's not the end of the world. Just thaw it out, I found I had to carbonate again.

Question... Say I want a beer without heavy yeast tones and assuming I'm kegging it. Could I intentionally freeze the brew after it's fully fermented to kill the yeasties off? What do you reckon this would do?

A Bloke at work froze a Lager ferment ( His thermostat died) after thawing the fermenter the yeasties kicked straight back in Cheers Jethro

kman,
Just a thought. Did you buy your thermostat already wired? Was it a pet warmer thermostat? Many years ago I bought a pet thermostat and tried to use it in a brew fridge. The way it is wired (as a warmer thermostat) the power will come on when the temp drops below the set point. Instead of heating, it will turn the fridge on resulting in even lower temps. This results in the fridge running continually and pulling the temp down to the lowest the fridge can do
Simply reversed the wires in the thermostat.
worked like a charm.
cheers
Darren

i bought the thermostat from poodz

ill be checking everything when i have time.

Its a thermostat specifically designed for fridges. A simple replacement job that is wired for refridgeration. I had it working fine in my chest freezer, replaced it because i wanted to make my freezer colder as its old and on its last legs.

lol, didnt seem to have any problems making my freezer colder :)

Back